Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: Racing in old Juarez
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

From Mary Alice:

Quote:
I knew a number of the people you mention. My late husband Steve Bain was at Juarez when Poncho's men blew a hole in the grandstand roof. Since their ranch bordered on the river, Steve and his dad just went home across the river to the El Paso side into their own front yard. We also raced at the "new" Juarez track the first year it opened. The biggest problem in racing now it the lack of personnel. There is no one left to gallop, the kids that used to come to the track are now on skate boards. I have gallop books (records) from years ago when 2 year olds were galloping 6-9 miles a day. They were than backed off to speed drills and won their first or second start, out. Most were "saddle horse" blood lines. They also retired sound at age 10-12 after winning up to 48 races, King Big, John Cantarini rode him for so many years the public thought he must own him- He did'nt. We had a mare we bought as 2 two year old for $650. She won 27 out of 45 races including 8.

My reply:

Thank you so much for writing about your experiences at the old Juarez track in Mexico. I presume you are replying to what I had to write about Ben Jones racing in Juarez when Poncho Villa came to town one day and occupied the town. For those readers who would like to read more on what I had to say about Jones' racing experiences in Mexico, go to my web page in Memorabillia at the Mexican Bit page:

http://racehorseherbal.net/bit.html

I find what you had to say about the old styles of prepping two year olds, fascinating! Feel free to write more on the subject. Thanks!

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]