Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: galloping out
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

From Lucinda:

Quote:
Ok, can anyone explain to me what trainers are looking for when a horse gallops out after a breeze. I hear it often said that the horse breezed in "x" time and galloped out in "x". My filly breezes tomorrow and the trainer said we'd start with 3/8ths and see how she gallops out. I intend to talk to him about just what he's looking for, but I'd like to have a decent idea beforehand. Obviously, she's breezed lots before, but I've never given any thought about what the "gallop out" part had to do with the picture other than did the horse look tired, or feel like it wanted to keep going. When timing the gallop out, how far do you keep the clock running? Thanks for any input.

My reply:

Galloping-out" is simply that, your horse is allowed to gallop out after a specific scheduled work distance. There is no hurry to curtail your
horse's speed and that should mostly always be the case, anyway, when one is finishing a work.

Time for me to rant! I am always pissed off when a jock in a race cannot wait to put the brakes on and get back to the unsaddling closure. Some times those boys slow down in less than an 1/8 of a mile before they swerve 180 degrees and head back. Sometimes without even stopping! Disgusting! The same holds true in the mornings for some exercise lads that seem to be in a hurry to get to the next barn for their next horse. A horse at speed should always be allowed to slow down very naturally. If your working horse is going to slow down gently, then naturally, you will actually get a much longer work, in theory, out of him than the published 3, 4, 5 furlongs and onward, work. Many good trainers and handicappers will analyze how much further your horse travels in the morning after such a work and add this data to the general work analysis. Many trainers will tell their boys to gallop out a longer distance, just to get that longer work into their horses plus maybe make sure their help understands that a nice gentle cessation is what is wanted. It is always a good sign to have your horse do a nice sharp work in-hand and then gallop out eagerly even further. There are no set standards, no set definitions, no set times, it is just simply putting in more track yardage into your horse before he is brought to a trot, a walk, a stop---then turned back for the barn. Many times a split-watch will continue to time a work after the published distance for another 1 or 2 furlongs. It all depends on the horse and the clocker, actually. There is much art and individual analysis that goes into breezing interpretation via the stop watch and the observation.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]