Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Ron was a missionary doctor in Ecuador during the early 1980's and is the one who did the first study into electroshock therapy for snake bite. I was able to get hold of Ron and after spending some time answering my questions he was nice enough to send me a copy of his unpublished report. The report covered the successful treatment of 322 accidental snake bite victims with a 100 percent recovery rate. The snakes involved were mainly the deadly fer-de-lance and bushmaster snakes. Most treatments were administered within 20 minutes of the bite taking place and the longest time was 180 minutes. Treatment was 4-5 very short shocks to each bite mark and the pain subsided within 15-30 minutes. Any swelling regressed within 48-72 hours. The sooner the treatment the sooner any swelling subsided. In some cases a follow up treatment was needed the next day. Some lab studies were conducted on small animals (rats etc.) in the US and the treatment was found to be ineffective. This is assumed by Ron to be because it is impossible to get a localized reaction to the venom in rats. I mean come on! that's what the venom is designed to kill!

Since that time our friends at a local Mennonite community have used cattle prods to treat snake bite and Brown Recluse spider bite with great success. On the one occasion when someone refused to shock the spider bite they went to the hospital and had very serious injury from the bite. It seems to work very well for pain and swelling from bites and stings even after long periods have elapsed since the initial bite or sting has been inflicted.

It is very important to use ONLY PULSED HIGH VOLTAGE DC electricity, the type found in lawn mowers, cars (a little too powerful for some), chainsaws, weed eaters, motorbikes, outboard motors and stun-guns or cattle prods. Power from the mains is DANGEROUS and will not work.

According to Ron the shock works best if the shock is administered straight through limb where the bite is, and then in an x across the bite.

Quote:
Stun guns work very well for this purpose, however they are a little bit of overkill for this task, only 20 kv is needed and stunguns often provide 100 kv. The stungun causes the muscles all around to tense up which is rather an unusual feeling. There is also an involuntary jerk away from the source of the shock. Once the shock stops there is really no after effect, it doesn't hurt or cramp. Naturally the shock hurts more in areas of the body where there are more nerves (hands, face etc.) and much less on the arms and legs.

When you get a sting or bite and there is quite a bit of swelling the pain sensors are usually maxed out, and so the shock doesn't hurt quite as much. That being said, the voltage does often effect a larger area than the area of swelling. So you will definitely feel the shock.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]