Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: Parvo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

From Dr. Belfield's book, How to Have a Healthy Dog

Quote:
"When parvo reached the San Jose area, I began getting calls from worried dog owners who had heard the worst. "Do you have the vaccine?" people wanted to know. No, none available,we' d tell them If the caller was one of our clients we would ask if their animal was getting vitamin C every day. Usually they said yes. If not, we strongly urged them to start. "Keep the dog on vitamin C and this will keep the immune system strong and hopefully prevent parvovirus" we would tell them. I have not heard of a single case of parvovirus among dogs receiving vitamin C alone or Vitamin C along with a general vitamin-mineral program. These are dogs who, for the most part did not receive any vaccine.

In treatment I found vitamin C in even heavier doses than I use for viral conditions to be effective in the dozen or so cases I saw during the latter half of l980. This is significant. ... normally for virus conditions would use a half-gram of sodium ascorbate intravenously per pound of body weight. And this is what I used on Kazan, a year old spitz who was the first parvovirus case brought in. After a few days I didn't seem to be making satisfactory headway so I decided to step up the dosage to two grams per pound. And this worked very well. It worked so well that I continued this dosage with all the other cases also administering medication and fluids to offset the symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. the vitamin C controls the virus in about 48 hours. The animal starts to show signs on recovery. the vomiting subsides. There is still some diarrhea but it is no longer bloody. during the next forty-eight hours we give the animal a multi-mineral tablet and a protein concentrate along with the vitamin C. this helps to strengthen the dog who up to now has not touched any food.Around the fourth day we find the appetite returning and the animal becomes livelier. In five days we have been able to send our cases home. Both in prevention and treatment, vitamin C can play a big role in this most current and worrisome of the canine viruses."

Dr. Belfield is a graduate of Tuskegee Institute of Veterinary Medicine, now in private practice in San Jose, California.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]