Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]   
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

The weekend of July 4th, 2016 was quite illuminating to me. I saw a health miracle that I still can't quite believe, even if I saw it myself!

Check out a detailed case study on my webpage: http://racehorseherbal.net/Budwig.html

Back story: I was given a 7 year old greyhound bitch from a breeder in Kansas around the first of the year. My first experience with greyhounds and I am impressed. Wonderful dogs! I soon noticed that whenever I took her out, she seemed to be stepping short in her left front leg for some reason. It seemed to me more of a “swinging leg” type of lameness as opposed to “standing-leg” which would suggest it was some type of irritation in the joint area in motion and not so much when she was simply standing putting weight on that leg. I examined her paws and pads carefully with nothing much learned. Palpated carefully all ones in that leg with no pressure responses. For the rest of the winter and early spring that slight short-stepping stride was always with her. I treated her with some Frontline flea & tick topical about a month ago and soon after, her symptoms started to become worse and worse. In the last 2.5 weeks, she was what I would describe as “dead lame” and getting worse every day. Hopping around, seldom running, in obvious pain. Still nothing obviously wrong with that leg and she exhibited no pain when one would press each joint or bone from paw up to shoulder blade. Perplexing!

I finally decided to go to the internet to see if I could gain some insight. I did and it was not good! Most canine sites agreed with a page that wrote this: "I wish I was wrong. After twenty years of caring for greyhounds, it appears that there are few exceptions to the rule. When an adopter calls us or comes to our clinic with a limping greyhound over the age of eight years old, that greyhound is almost always diagnosed with the same. Osteosarcoma. We can walk through the steps of diagnosis, but the outcome is almost always the same." In short, by the time a greyhound gets to the lameness stage that my dog is now exhibiting, the cancer has spread to other parts of the body (particularly the lungs) and any hope of cure is very, very remote. Vets say if you catch the cancer soon enough, one can amputate the affected leg and start the dog on chemo and maybe it might have a chance?

After reading that, my gut told me she had osteosarcoma. I didn’t want to contact a vet as I have never had much luck with vets all of my life--plus I don't have a lot of money to burn. Besides, I usually always ended up with a dead animal and a big bill from any of them in 50+ years of dealing with that profession. I cannot think of one gravely ill animal of mine from cats to horses that ever came back alive from a vet or University Vet Clinic in my life experience. Moreover, if she did have cancer, nothing they could do any way this late in the game.

About a week ago with everything worsening, progressing to a standing leg lameness with paw raised from the floor, she started to exhibit pain from touch to her humerus bone area for the very first time, which is the long bone right below the shoulder blade ending in a dog’s elbow. This is a common site for osteosarcoma. She was also starting to sporadically cough, perhaps suggesting lung involvement?

The previous week, I had started her on field bindweed extract. It has known anti-tumor properties and has been credited with saving late stage cancer cases. I happened to find a good fresh stand of field bindweed in my nephew’s winter wheat field and started harvesting some to make an extract for her. I did a webpage on bindweed for those that might be interested:

http://racehorseherbal.net/bindweed.html

At the same time, I also put her on the inner-bark tincture extract of a locally growing tree on my farm, osage orange, known for its anti-cancer properties. Still, she kept getting worse. I was tempted to put her down about a week ago, but didn’t. Then Friday night, she was atypically restless all night, moving from one place in the house to another with me occasionally hearing her yelp in the dark. The next morning, July 2nd, in the daylight, she looked really bad. Panting hard on a day with the highs were only in the 60s! Whining, very uncomfortable, refusing to want to go outside. I figured today was the day to take her out of her misery. I hate seeing animals needlessly suffer. What a terrible weather day, too, it was a constant all-day rain; cool and none of my brothers were around to help out as a back-up. I had planned to use helium for pet euthanasia and wanted some one around to help since I am in a wheelchair, if assistance was needed. After trying to find a brother in the rain, I gave up. I would wait the next day.

Since I had ordered a bottle of Flax-seed oil this past week and received it Friday and only had gotten some cottage cheese Saturday morning, I thought why not try it on the dog even though I knew it was probably very hopeless. I have been around animals as a farm boy all of my life and seen enough dying animals to know that the end was near with my dog. Nevertheless, I took a hand blender and mixed a tablespoon of oil in two tablespoons of cottage cheese, the so-called Budwig protocol, and gave her some around 1pm, Saturday--dosed her a second time about 4 hours later. By that evening, she seemed like a different dog! Amazing! I dare say morphine could not act so quickly! I was dumbfounded! She was breathing normally, resting on the rug with some comfort, etc, etc. Saturday night she slept normally. Sunday morning, the 3rd, she was moving fairly nicely compared to the previous day even showing a little speed, but still very lame. She actually chased a rabbit for a short distance, which she had not done for many weeks. She continues to improve. Of course that limp remains, but if it was cancer riddled, that is to be expected to be a slow healing process. Healing such a bone will take time. I am painting it with a comfrey/DMSO paint, putting a cup of comfrey tea once a day in her feed make from the fresh plant, plus feeding her 4 tablespoons of the oil every day, including bindweed and Osage orange doses. So far so good, but it was the Budwig diet that seemed to turn her around within hours! Whether it was the Flaxseed oil or a combination of everything I did, I am not sure. All I know are the startling results.

Naturally, I said “WHOA”! I better re-read Johanna Budwig’s book! Can it really work that fast in hours? I am in the process of going over her book with a fine tooth comb, but I did quickly find this passage she wrote: “I (Johanna Budwig) often take the very sick cancer patients away from the hospital where they are said to have only a few days left to live or perhaps only a few hours. This is mostly accompanied by very good results. " So, I guess it does indeed work in hours! If I didn't see how my dog responded with my own eyes, I would never have believed that statement!

I will see how things go with her in the next few weeks, but I now see a dog that was close to death, coming back into her own. Most impressive! One of the few health miracles I have witnessed in my life!

As a side note, the basic principle of the mechanics behind the Budwig protocol as postulated by Johanna Budwig in the 1950s was that cancer often forms or is stimulated because an animal is not getting the necessary unsaturated fats that are rich in the type of electrons we all need and which have a matching resonance with the sun photon rays. She contended that in our modern industrial society, fats are processed to preserve for long periods of storage and that requires destroying the electrons in fats that we need to prevent rancidity during storage. Thus, we are often very deficient! Budwig’s theory is based on the protein/fat complexes found in all living cells, which requires unsaturated fats. This brings up the idea that perhaps my Frontline flea treatment may have precipitated a worsening of her cancer? Frontline contains fipronil, which can be stored in her fatty tissues and could easily disrupt the protein/fat complexes--at any rate; this is something to contemplate in the future. I doubt I will give her any more Frontline. I always had my doubts about the topical toxicity of Frontline in the past anyway.

Attachment:
greyhound 3.jpg

The Budwig diet:

Dr Budwig discovered that when she combined Flaxseed oil, with its powerful healing nature of essential electron-rich unsaturated fats, and cottage cheese, which is rich in sulfur protein, the chemical reaction produced makes the oil water soluble and easily absorbed into the cell membrane.

Read More http://www.cancertutor.com/budwig/

Using the immersion stick mixer for the Flax Seed Oil and Cottage Cheese. Mix four Tbs of organic 2% low fat Cottage Cheese with two Tbs organic cold pressed Flax Seed Oil commonly referred to as (Flax Oil). It is best not to use Flavored, Lignum or Highest Lignum Flax Oil. Two good flax oils are Barlean’s or Spectrum’s cold pressed organic flax oil. This can be found in the refrigerated section of the grocery or health food store. Never off the shelf. Never capsule or flakes. Watch the expiration date. Blend the flax oil and cottage cheese together with the immersion blender until reaching a creamy quality and the oil has been absorbed. A rule of thumb to keep in mind is one tablespoon of oil to two tablespoons of cottage cheese. Once the mixture is completed it must be eaten immediately for best results. Make fresh each time.

Quote:
PET TUMORS HEALING TESTIMONIES

Written/provided by Cliff Beckwith and compiled by http://www.healingcancernaturally.com

(In the future, if anyone reading this can furnish us with any result of the use of flax oil with our pet, I will add it to this account for the benefit of future contacts. Of course, I am now seventy seven, so how many years I have is uncertain, though I do not see any immediate problems. The flax oil has arrested the problem long ago, but it had come back a little because I had not known that Dr. Budwig recommended one tablespoon a day per hundred lb. Body weight and not just a tablespoon a day. We’ve increased and seem on the right road again. Whether man or pet, this must be kept up for life to keep bodies able to handle tumor cells.)

The first thought of pet application came when a man told me about his dog. He was getting along in dog years and had developed tumors. His eyes were dull and he was so weak that he couldn’t lift his leg. This man told me that he mixed up a couple of tablespoons with some cottage cheese a couple of times a day and the dog wolfed it down. He said it wasn’t long before the dog’s eyes were bright, his coat was shiny and he was running all over the place.

The second that I knew of was a similar situation with a dog that was owned by my cousin’s daughter. In both cases the dogs lived out a normal doggy life.

Then a few years ago I received, in a Christmas card, an item cut out of a paper in Maine. My friend told me that I would enjoy it. It was a question to the veterinary column. The question was how to prevent his pet squirrel from losing its hair. The answer was to feed it flaxseed oil. It would build up its immune system and it wouldn’t lose its hair.

A few years ago a young kitty cat wandered in, very malnourished, and had very little hair. I thought of the article, and put out cottage cheese with around a teaspoon of flaxseed in it. She had that every day along with regular cat food. It wasn’t but a short time that she developed a shiny coat, and is today a beautiful cat. After that she wouldn’t eat it anymore. Maybe animals have an instinct about things like that.

One lady I know had a large dog that had developed tumors that was fairly advanced. The folks tried everything to get it to eat food with flax oil in it, and it just wouldn’t. It did die. One man wrote to me from Wisconsin and told me about their dog. I quote from his letter as follows, “Results! Our dog, Penny, was to have died two and a half years ago from several tumors. We changed her diet, gave her many nutritious supplements and herbs. She survived..but..was still in pain and slept most of the day away. So, she is a member of the family too, so we gave her one Tablespoon of the Flax Oil daily [she is a small dog of about 35 pounds]. Now she goes for a four mile morning walk with Ina and seems to be better than before and many of the tumors have receded.” I know of other situations in general, but not in specific detail. I do know that our local vet is impressed enough with it that she is recommending flax oil when people bring in pets with tumors.

One of our correspondents, Ron Conley of Texas, has a Siberian Huskey, Natasha, that had been in serious trouble with tumors. He has a detailed account of what was done to treat her over four months time. I believe the vet had believed that she could not live more than 30 to 60 days. The treatments involved a lot of things with flaxseed oil a major support. The dog is doing very well today, and his web page includes references to several different pet situations. For information, check his web site: http://home.earthlink.net/~texas2step/c ... l#Month14/

It is an inspiring story.

Question: Our 9 month old puppy was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor at 6 months – we have had her on 1 cup of kefir with 6 T of flax oil daily for the past two months. Last week we noticed another bump on her leg (about an inch from the original tumor, which was surgically removed) & have a feeling that it’s another tumor. Any suggestions? I’m beginning to wonder if Kefir wasn’t the appropriate sulphur protein to mix with the flax oil, but I’ve read that it’s ok. Should I up the dosage? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Answer: We have an old dog, with arthritis, etc. that go with old age, and so I have been mixing my FO/CC every morning and giving her 2 Tablespoons of it (she is a very small terrier). I do mix the Flaxseed oil with low fat cottage cheese and Flax seeds. The first time I offered it to her, she turned up her nose and walked away. I thought “Little lady, you ARE going to eat that.” So the next morning I prepared it as usual and spoon fed it to her. She did not resist, but swallowed it right down. After 3 days of spoon feeding, I just put it on a saucer and held the saucer down to her, but kept holding it (I thought maybe that would be to her about the same as me spoon feeding her). She lapped the saucer clean. The next day I sat the saucer down on the floor right beside me and she ate it all. Now, when I begin to make my mixture every morning, as soon as she hears the blender running, she comes running from wherever she was, and stands very close to me, licking her lips (literally) and quivering with excitement. Ever since then she has eaten it faithfully and eagerly.

I give it to her before I add fruit, as she does not seem to like the fruit. The mixture I give her

2 Tablespoons of, consists of:

2 or 3 Tablespoons of skim milk

3 Tablespoons of Flaxseed oil

2 Tablespoons of Flax seeds

Blend slightly.

Then I add 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, a little bit at a time, blending after each addition.

Next I add 1 Tablespoon of raw honey.

I give her 2 Tablespoons of this mixture.

Then I add 1/2 cup 100% grape juice.

I drink this with as much relish as my little dog shows.

She shows no signs of tumors, but I do have diagnosed breast tumors, which became apparent on Oct. 8, 2002. I began the FO/CC the same day. My tumor has shrunk dramatically (within days I should know the exact measurement of it – – from the radiologist, who has said he will look up my file and measure it). But I know this much, at the beginning I also had a lymph node that was involved – – – (it is completely reduced now, and my doctor can no longer find it. ) The entire tumor has shrunk dramatically. I had entire body scans recently and they show that I have no tumor cells in my body, except the original ones in the breast. I plan to continue eating my FO/CC until it is all gone. I expect that it will be in another year. If I were you, I would make this mixture that I have written about and give it to your little dog. I believe that it would cure her of tumors, if you are faithful in giving it to her, and do not give up, but continue it indefinitely. I hope you can do this. I understand how much you love your dog – – – just as I love mine. My sympathy and understanding goes out to you. And please keep us updated on how your little dog does. I don’t know what Kefir is, but I know that Dr. Budwig said to use low fat cottage cheese, and that is THE ONLY THING that I would mix the oil with.

I have recently started giving my 3 dogs the FO/CC with raw honey but without the fruit also. My dogs are on ave 12 human years. One had a huge tumor on his hip, now it is greatly reduced (a couple of weeks). This dog was not eating very well at all and now he is eating with gusto. Another one of my dogs has some ugly looking moles. I have seem some change there also. Del

Shiloh

(This is One of the most remarkable evidences of the power of Omega 3 that I have. This dog was getting the equivalent of 9 tablespoons a day for a 165 pound man.)

Dear Mr. Beckwith, My dog, Shilo was diagnosed with Myelogenous Leukemia with suppression of red blood cells and platelet production on 3/18/99. The U.OFM. in ST. Paul which is one of the best vet hospitals in the country did a bone marrow on Shilo who is only 3 and half years old and a CBC and found tumor cells a lot in his blood . All they could offer was to put him on Predizone and by him a little time. Depressed and very sad I went on the Internet and with the help of GOD I found your page on Flax OIL and read the testimonials. The next day I started Shilo on Flax Oil and cottage Cheese 3 Tablespoons a day and right away I started seeing results. Four days later I took him back to the Vets and they did a CBC Blood test and they were amazed and didn’t understand why his white count was normal {after having hardly any white blood cells at all} his Platelets were clotting normal. and he was producing red blood cells at a fast rate. The Veterinarians were baffled. They also could not find one tumor cell in his blood !! Besides The Flax Oil I have him on vitamin C, E, Genistein, and a multi vitamin for dogs to help his Immune system I know in my heart the thing that really made the difference was the Flax seed OIL. Shilo weighs 56 pounds and is a Golden Retriever. I will be seeing the vet in another week for a blood test and I know it will come out tumor free. Shilo is feeling great and acting like a normal dog and 10 days ago he had a 106 temp and dying. Bless You Mr. Beckwith, Shirley, and Ms. Budwig!! Please right back to me God Bless, Kirk Heckel, and Tim Brown.
———————————

Dear Cliff, Just to let you know Shilo had a blood test today and there was NO sign of tumor cells in his blood and his platelets and Red blood cells were normal. He is still getting 3 tablespoons of Flaxoil and cottage cheese a day. D242

Hi Cliff, Thank you for the info on the lady from Missouri. It’s so wonderful to know that I can help other people, like you and others have helped me. Your testimonials saved Shilo’s life. Shilo is doing great. Shilo and Woodson {My other dog} are both on Flax oil and cottage cheese and vitamins. Their energy level is so much better and Shilo seems even more healthier than even before he was sick. Everybody who has seen Shilo can’t believe how good he looks and how his fur coat is so shiny and thick. My Grandmas dog “Jake” has had problems with hot spots. She started him on flax oil with cottage cheese and the hot spots are going away. My mom and Dad and sister are giving it to themselves and their dogs. AS for my vets, my vet knows about the flax oil but the vets at the University Of Minnesota don’t know yet. They probably think Shilo is dead, because I haven’t seen them since May. I believe timing is everything so I plan on sending them a Christmas card with a picture of Shilo and a letter saying he is alive and well . I will explain to them what I have been doing and I will suggest to them that they need to do a study on flax oil and tumors with terminal dogs. Maybe that will floor them. Have any other suggestions? Ron Conley is working on Shilo’s story for an upcoming news letter. It should be pretty cool. I have to tell you something, you should get a kick out of this. Shilo, Woodson and myself take the flax oil and cottage cheese. As you can guess I go thru a lot of cottage cheese each week. So when ever there is a sale on cottage cheese I stock up. Last week I went to the grocery store and saw a sale on cottage cheese, so I bought about 10 containers. They also had a sale on pickles so I bought a couple of jars. So I am going up to the register and getting weird looks from people. The cashier gives me a funny look . I start laughing. I thought they must think I have a pregnant wife or I have strange food cravings, pickles and cottage cheese. Oh well. I hope everything is going good for you, keep me updated, take care, D242

Diamond featured in the Whole Dog Journal

Cliff, This was on the Sheltie Naturals list and I thought it would be of interest to you… In the August 2000 issue of Whole Dog Journal, there is a great article written by Barb Hamlin, a dog owner from Michigan. Hamlin tells the story of her German Shepherd’s recovery from soft tissue tumors- which did NOT involve chemotherapy or radiation. Instead, Hamlin employed a nutritional approach she found on the internet. . . . This approach was developed by a German scientist, Dr. Joanna Budwig, who has written several books about her successes in treating all sorts of tumors with a supplement made of cottage cheese and flax oil. Dr. Budwig’s most recent book is ‘Flax Oil As A True Aid Against Arthritis, Heart Disease, tumors, and Other Diseases’. Hamlin gave her dog 1/4 cup of low fat cottage cheese and 1 1/2 tablespoons of Barlean’s Organic Flax Seed Oil two times a day, as well as supplements such as vitamin C, vitamin E, juiced vegetables, and digestive enzymes. She also fasted her dog once a week, and withheld any vaccinations or chemical flea or tick treatments. Within three months, the tumor had Completely disappeared. Hamlin describes her protocol thoroughly in the WDJ article, which is available for purchase from the publisher, Belvoir Publications, by calling 800-424-7887 or writing to customer_service@b…. As of October 2000 Barb reports that Diamond is doing great! http://www.healingcancernaturally.com

From Wynn2 (2015):

Quote:
Hi.

I haven't read the previous posts, but I need to put a testimonial somewhere regarding canine osteosarcoma. I do attribute my dog's cure to this Budwig mix, although I did give her a lot of other things as well.

After 5 months of treatment, she regained the use of her leg. She never seemed unhealthy, and she is still healthy two and a half years later.

I also included chinese herbs (from the vet), zeolite powder, and Reckeweg R17. Some other additions were turmeric, digestive enzymes, and homemade organic food. However, she was able to always get into things not on her diet (cheap cat food, tap water, etc.)

She was on a pain drug the whole time.

I read somewhere on the internet a list of things to NOT give with the Budwig mix, including vitamin C supplements. All information I needed was on the internet.
[/quote]

Quote:
A testimonial taken from "Flax Oil and Cancer"
"I have a 13 year old dog. He has cancer. He's eyes are dull and he's so weak he can't lift his leg. I should have put him to sleep but I didn't want to. I put a Tbsp. of Flax oil and a half cup of cottage cheese in his bowl and he wolfed it down. I did that three times a day for ten weeks. Today he's running all over the place, his eyes are bright, his coat is shiny and he's gaining weight." That was the 2nd dog I'd heard of in 3 days that showed improvement from using Flax Seed oil. The other is owned by my cousin's daughter"

Quote:
A testimonial about flaxoil and cancer from Tim Brown: "My dog Shilo, a 3 1/2 years old Golden Retriever, was diagnosed with Leukemia of the bone marrow. He was diagnosed on March 19, '99 and the next day I started him on 3 tablespoons of flaxoil and cottage cheese and within hours his energy improved. Four days later, on March 24th, I took him back to the vet and they did a blood test and were baffled because his white cell count was normal, his red blood cells were normal, and his platelets were clotting normal, he had no fever, and he was acting like a normal dog and they didn't understand. On April 13th he had another test and no cancer cells. HE HAS BEEN CANCER FREE SINCE MARCH 24th 1999. Just think I spent over $2000.0 on vets to find out what he really needed was a bottle of flax seed oil that costs about $12.00. Before this he was a very sick dog and according to the vets he was suppose to be dead by now."

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/amailbag.htm#Tim

Quote:
Ron Conley of Texas, has a Siberian Huskey, Natasha, that had been in serious trouble with cancer. He has a detailed account of what was done to treat her over four months time. I believe the vet had believed that she could not live more than 30 to 60 days. The treatments involved a lot of things with flaxseed oil a major support. The dog is doing very well today, and his web page includes references to several different pet situations

Quote:
My son is 32 years old, diagnosed last August with osteosarcoma after his femur broke just above the knee. He had two thirds of his leg replaced with titanium, but had developed mets to his liver, spine, lungs and pelvis. Have been doing the Budwig formula for about four months…eliminated all sugars and 90% of the carbs. He does essiac tea twice a day and ambrotose, 28 ounces of juice per day. Scan last week showed tumors in lungs gone. L5 tumor gone. L2 and L3 tumors dying and filling back in. Tumor on liver less than half the size and disappearing…God Bless you all.

Phillip

Quote:
Several weeks ago a man called us from South Bend, Indiana. He said, “You’ll enjoy this. I have a 13 year old dog. He has cancer. His eyes were dull and he was so weak he couldn’t lift his leg. I should have put him to sleep, but I didn’t want to. I put 1 Tbsp. of Flax oil and a half cup of cottage cheese in his bowl and he wolfed it down. I did that three times a day for ten weeks. Today he’s running all over the place, his eyes are bright, his coat is shiny and he’s gaining weight.” That was the 2nd dog I’d heard of in 3 days that showed improvement from using Flax oil. The other is owned by my cousin’s daughter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Budwig Diet Revision
by Duncan Crow, Wholistic Consultant

This is a direct quote from the site of Duncan Crow

Quote:
Germany's Dr. Joanna Budwig is widely credited for discovering that 2 simple food items, cold-pressed flax seed oil and low-fat cottage cheese, will cure or prevent many forms of cancer and a long list of other degenerative diseases including cardiovascular diseases and skin diseases. But the 50-year old "Budwig Diet" is long in the tooth and newer data has emerged that shows where we can improve on it. (essential fatty acids references)

Sulfur-rich protein and calcium in the "Budwig protocol" is provided by cottage cheese. Because many people can not take "dairy", let’s look more closely at the cottage cheese. Human milk is higher in whey and much lower in casein than cow milk or goat milk; casein is the main protein in cheese and cottage cheese. Caseins differ somewhat; cow milk contains a lot of alpha-casein, which because of its different properties is the main cause of milk and "dairy" indigestion in humans. Beta lactoglobulins in cow milk can also be problematic as allergens, and cow milk also contains more alpha s1-casein than goat milk. All of this explains why many people find goat milk less problematic than cow milk.

The problematic milk components can be removed leaving low-fat whey, most of which is an exact match across the whole mammalian order. The common ingredients are more easily assimilated than any other protein and do not produce sensitivity or allergy issues. The Physicians Desktop Reference for Prescription Drugs lists one pure whey isolate as "well-tolerated by even severely milk-sensitive individuals", and practice corroborates that.

Bottom line - although biological incompatibilities exist in foreign milk, comments that lump 'dairy' products together as problematic are sloppy; the statement does not apply to high-quality whey, and it is widely acknowledged to be the most healthy fraction of milk.

The Budwig Diet revision uses undenatured whey instead of cottage cheese. Undenatured whey contains the sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cysteine compounds including cystine. Methionine is transformed into cysteine by the liver. Cellular cysteine is the rate-limiting factor in production of glutathione, the body's master antioxidant and detoxifier. Glutathione is crucial to life; it's involved in ATP energy generation, immune system support, liver and other organ support, reducing toxin load and oxidative stress, and importantly, it shrinks tumors when levels are maintained. More glutathione information including the role whey can play in cancer therapy is available here with glutathione references.

Cottage cheese doesn't boast those benefits; in fact it's only a sulfur amino acid source. The Budwig Diet revision's replacement of the bio-incompatible cottage cheese with compatible cold-processed whey adheres to the principles of the "Budwig Diet", and will provide huge additional benefit. Unlike cottage cheese, cold-processed whey is mildly alkalizing to the body, and several cold-processed wheys are listed in the US PDR as a specific anti-cachexia (anti-wasting) formula.

The flaxseed oil in the original plan provides the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is thought to be a 'good' omega-3 oil; however, more recent science has revealed that it's a common but faulty assumption that ALA is physiologically equivalent to omega-3 essential fatty acids EPA and DHA, and that there is no known need for alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) independent of its conversion to EPA/DHA. And in adults the conversion rate is tiny; the US Environmental Protection Agency has posted this powerpoint presentation (slide 5) that explains less than 1% conversion of ALA to EPA (some sources say somewhat higher), and <0.01% to DHA. (People, this is HUGE – we’ve been hoodwinked too long!)

Though these details have traditionally escaped the followers of Joanna Budwig and Udo Erasmus, fatty acids expert Dr. Floyd Chilton fully explains them in his book Inflammation Nation. Chilton says (page 97), "I wish I could tell you that the (ALA) in flaxseed oil could replace wild fish as a rich source of EPA and DHA but the scientific literature simply does not support this contention. ...We do the conversion but very slowly, and we also eat a lot of fatty acids such as LA that 'compete' for enzymes that convert ALA to EPA and DHA, further limiting its conversion."

This competition is most pronounced in the common condition of low EPA/DHA and higher omega-6 fatty acid intake seen in the modern diet. Thus the omega-6 content of the flax oil, (25% of the amount of ALA) seen in the table below, also inhibits the conversion.

Composition of flax seed oil

Fatty acids:

Alpha linolenic (omega-3) - 55%

Linoleic (omega-6) - 13.8%

Oleic - 21.5%

Stearic - 2.2%

Palmitic (saturated) - 7.1%

Budwig and her followers including Udo Erasmus also purport to supply the needed fatty acids to rebuild cell walls so they can carry more oxygen and etc., by supplying ALA; however, cell walls actually contain negligible ALA and are high EPA and DHA.

This explains why for more than maintenance you may need vastly more EPA and DHA than an ALA supplement can provide, and why fish oil supplements are more popular for inflammation. For these reasons flax oil seems a less brilliant choice for biological support in humans than it did 50 years ago.

Unlike ALA, EPA and DHA are essential to health and can reverse illness, including the coronary heart disease, skin disorders and cancer claimed by proponents of the Budwig Diet. The Budwig Diet revision ensures adequate EPA and DHA are supplied. Wild salmon oil, wild fish oil, and cod liver oil provide lots of EPA and DHA. Wild salmon oil, even minimally refined oil, has almost no impurities. Inflammation can be further reduced by adding GLA or Borage oil.

Some people may feel safer by staying closer to the original diet by adding these EFAs rather than replacing the flax oil of the original Budwig diet, but it is unwise to not include them at all, thus this Budwig Diet revision was probably inevitable.

Essential Fatty Acids References:

"Specific inhibitory effect of dietary eicosapentaenoic acid on N-nitroso-N-methylurea-induced mammary carcinogenesis in female Sprague-Dawley rats" (Carcinogenesis; 11(11): 2015-9, Nov 1990) found that EPA significantly reduced (60% versus 93.3%) mammary tumour incidence and number in rats and significantly reduced prostaglandin levels, suggesting that the breast cancer inhibition by EPA may be mediated via lipid metabolism and associated reduction in prostaglandin synthesis.

Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil significantly reduced weight loss and tumour growth rate in an experimental colon cancer cachexia system in this study: (Tisdale MJ and Dhesi JK. Inhibition of weight loss by omega-3 fatty acids in an experimental cachexia model. Cancer Res; 50(16): 5022-6. Aug 15 1990)

"Anticachectic and antitumor effect of eicosapentaenoic acid and its effect on protein turnover" (Cancer Res; 51(22): 6089-93. Nov 15 1991) studied the effect of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) on weight loss and tumour growth in mice with cachexia-inducing colon cancer. EPA inhibited both weight loss and tumour growth rate in a dose-related manner; body weight was effectively maintained (weight loss did not occur even when tumour growth resumed), there was delay in tumour progression of growth, and overall survival was approximately doubled in EPA-treated acids, were equally efffective in inhibiting growth of these same prostate cancer cells in a dose-dependent manner, with a 65% reduction in growth.

In the small double-blind, placebo-controlled study, "Effect of omega-3 fatty acids on rectal mucosal cell proliferation in subjects at risk for colon cancer", (Gastroenterology; 103(3): 1096-8. Sep 1992) 20 patients with sporadic adenomatous colorectal polyps were given omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for 12 weeks. While there was no change in the controls, the group of 10 that received fish oil containing EPA and DHA the "S"-phase cells (a reliable marker of colon cancer risk) significantly dropped in 2 weeks and stayed lower throughout the trial. Arachidonic acid (inflammatory) levels also decreased.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

I do know Duncan's sources are much more expensive to purchase than Budwig's. Basically, his sources are designed to give larger dosages of EPA and DHA than Budwig's.

Number one, the Budwig is not designed to supplement DHA and EPA essential fatty acids.

Number two, even if one wanted higher concentrations, why not just increase the Flax-seed/cottage cheese dosages, if that is what one is after?

Budwig was not in favor of fish oil supplementation and warned that one needed to stick with the parent 18-link structures found in Linoleic acid (LA) and α-Linolenic acid (ALA). The fish oils mostly consist of the larger chained Omega-3, essential fatty acids, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). For some reason, all of the experts seem to suggest that LA and ALA are not useful and that a short-cut to supplementation of EPA and DHA is very desirable in the form of marine animal oils. This would be all well and good if Budwig wanted EPA and DHA supplementation. She did not! The precursors, Linoleic acid (LA) and α-Linolenic acid (ALA) can not be equated in physiological utilization to those later essential fatty acids of EPA and DHA down the pathway. Even though ALA can be converted into EPA and DHA, they don't do the same things in the body. One needs LA and ALA for certain tasks which EPA and DHA cannot be utilized for. Why this is overlooked by Budwig detractors is a crime. Johanna appreciated this distinction!

Evolution is based on each pathway level being useful for the organism's task at that time as well as in the future even with evolutionary change. Just because evolution creates a more complex pathway over time does not in any way lessen the need for the more primitive elements of that pathway to still exist and maintain their original tasks. Linoleic acid (LA) and α-Linolenic acid (ALA) seem to be vital in cellular respiratory metabolism, while EPA and DHA are designed more directly for anti-inflammatory processes and cell membranes viscosity benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

If one is using the Budwig protocol on dogs, I would highly advise that dog to also be on a ketogenic diet. Here is a suggested diet for a 60 pound dog:

Meal: 1 of 2 daily:

80/20 raw ground beef..................110 grams

Coconut oil......................................20 grams

fresh raw broccoli.............................6 grams

fresh raw red cabbage......................6 grams

Total daily calories of the above diet in the form of two meals a day equals 893 Kcal. with a 2:1 ketogenic ratio at 15 calories per pound.

Dailey total: Fats.........82 grams, protein..........38 grams, Net carb.........1 gram

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]