Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
 Post subject: atheists
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:33 am 
Site Admin

There is a famous story told in Chassic literature that addresses this very question. The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.

Quote:
One clever student asks “What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?”

The Master responds “God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all — the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs and act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that god commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness he can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right.”

“This means,” the Master continued “that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say ‘I pray that God will help you.’ Instead for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say ‘I will help you.’”

ETA source: Tales of Hasidim Vol. 2 by Mar

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]