Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]   
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Tumeric which contains any where from 2-6% curcumin and can be used as a medicinal source for curcumin. Only problem is that curcumin is next to zilch soluable in water. It can be dissolved in DMSO, ethanol, and fats. A recent study usiing hydrophobically modified starch (HMS) give us another method to encapsulate and make curcumin more bioavaliable! I refer to this study:

Abstract

Abstract
Curcumin is a natural polyphenolic compound with anti-oxidation, anti-inflammation, and anti-cancer properties. However, these benefits of curcumin suffer from its extremely low water solubility and bioavailability. In this study, we demonstrated that hydrophobically modified starch (HMS), a food-grade biopolymer, is able to form micelles and to encapsulate curcumin. Upon encapsulation, curcumin showed increased solubility by about 1670-folds. This may be due to the hydrophobic interaction and hydrogen bonding between curcumin and HMS, as suggested by results from infrared and fluorescence spectroscopy. The synchrotron small-angle X-ray scattering results indicated that the addition of curcumin did not alter the structure of HMS, whose radius of gyration remained at 14.1 ± 0.1 nm. Moreover, encapsulated curcumin revealed enhanced in vitro anti-cancer activity compared to free curcumin. This study provides a novel food-grade encapsulation formulation to increase the bioaccessibility of curcumin.

By using this method, I think I produced a very useful curcumin solution. I used the starch, Dry-Flo Af as my HMS. It seemed to work ok. It has unique Aluminum-free technology--make sure if anyone buys Dry-flo, it is AF or aluminum free variety. I made a 1% solution, added several grams of turmeric which contains about 3% cucurmin and vitamixed and ultrasounded it. Curcumin will dissolve at approximately 1mg/ml of various organic solvents like DMSO, ethanol, etc., so I would use that number as a good starting part for how much curcumin to use. No use using any more than that in water.

Of course, not all of the turmeric went into solution which is to be expected, particularly since I made sure I added an "excessive amount". But once I filtered it, it stayed in solution, nice yellow color (as compared to a lpalle yellow, if just water is used).

Unfortunately, I have no way of testing how good my micelle encapsulation process was outside of the final color. I do think this process of using HMS holds great value in extracting and encapsuling many of the polyphenols found in herbs, like cucurmin. I plan to experiment using this process on extracting oxyreservatrol (a polyphenol) from a locally growing tree on my farm, the Osage Orange.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Curcumin is heat sensitive! Heat (boiling temps) degrades it!

Abstract
Many of the health beneficial physiological effects of the spice - turmeric (Curcuma longa), documented in recent years are attributable to the major flavour and colouring compound curcumin. Considerable decrease in the concentration of bioactive compound curcumin has been observed during the heat processing of turmeric. This study was aimed at understanding the nature of altered/degraded compounds formed from the bioactive spice compound - curcumin as a result of heat treatment encountered during domestic cooking. Among several of the degradation compounds of curcumin, three major ones were characterized as ferulic acid, vanillin and vanillic acid on the basis of their UV absorption, proton NMR spectra and mass spectral data of LC fractions, as well as by comparison of the three identified compounds with respective standards. The study confirmed the vulnerability of the diketone bridge in curcumin molecule to heat. In addition, formation of vanillic acid and vanillin indicated that the molecule is sensitive to heat at the first carbon atom of the alkyl chain which is connecting the two phenyl moieties.

On the other hand, sub-boiling temps seem to enhance solubility:

Abstract

Curcumin's full pharmacological potential is limited owing to its extremely limited water solubility. We report here that the water solubility of curcumin could be increased from 0.6 microg/ml to 7.4 microg/ml (12-fold increase) by the use of heat. Spectrophotometric (400-700 nm) and mass spectrometric profiling of the heat-extracted curcumin displays no significant heat-mediated disintegration of curcumin. Using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay that employed HNE modification of solid-phase antigen, we found that the heat-solubilized curcumin inhibited HNE-protein modification by 80%. Thus, inhibition of HNE modification may be a mechanism by which curcumin exerts its effect.

--------------

Curcumin is highly unstable undergoing rapid hydrolytic degradation in neutral or alkaline conditions to feruloyl methane and ferulic acid. It is reported to be stable below pH 6.0. Thus, the use of curcumin is limited by its poor aqueous solubility in acidic or neutral conditions and instability in alkaline pH.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Two interesting websites on curcumin:

Quote:
USE OF CURCUMIN TO BLOCK BRAIN TUMOR FORMATION IN MICE . The present invention thus provides compositions of and methods using a curcumin compound to treat tumor cells, including brain tumor cells, in vitro or in vivo, to diminish cancer cell growth or decrease tumor size. When administered to a subject, the curcumin compound is able to cross the blood-brain barrier (see e.g. Example 3) and is thus suitable for administration using any appropriate methods known in the art, including but not limited to intravenous, oral, transdermal and transmucosal administration. In certain embodiments, the compositions and methods of this invention are useful in methods for improving cancer patient prognosis.

Curcumin has low solubility in water. To increase its solubility, curcumin may be dissolved in DMSO in sterile phosphate buffered saline (PBS). See, e.g., Example 1. We have found that curcumin, and many curcumin analogs and derivatives, shows surprisingly effective bioactivity when administered to a subject in a formulation comprising DMSO. In some embodiments, a curcumin compound is formulated with DMSO at a concentration of from about 1% to 20%. In some embodiments, a curcumin compound is formulated with DMSO at a concentration of from about 1% to 15%. In other embodiments, the concentration of DMSO is from about 2% to 10%. In certain particular embodiments, the concentration of DMSO is from about 15%-17% or 15%-20%. In certain particular embodiments, the concentration of DMSO is from about 3% to 5%. When 200 μl of 667 μM curcumin solution comprising 3% DMSO is injected into a mouse (approximately 4 ml of body fluid), the final concentration of DMSO is expected to be about 0.15%. See, e.g. Example 4 and Example 5. When 5 μl of a 3 mM curcumin solution made with 15% DMSO is injected intracranially (average brain volume of 400 μl), the final concentration of DMSO is expected to be about 0.187%. See, e.g. Example 8. Thus, in certain embodiments of the invention, a curcumin composition comprising DMSO as a solublizing agent is administered in a dosage unit that achieves or results in a final blood or plasma DMSO concentration of about 0.05% to 0.5%, 0.05% to 0.25%, 0.1% to 0.4%, 0.1% to 0.3%, 0.1% to 0.25%, 0.1% to 0.2%, 0.15% to 0.30%, 0.15% to 0.25% or 0.15% to 0.2%.

Curcumin solubility may be increased by using nanoparticle-based formulations. Polymeric nanoparticle encapsulated formulations of curcumin—nanocurcumin—utilizing the micellar aggregates of cross-linked and random copolymers of N-isopropylacrylamide (NIPAAM), with N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone (VP) and poly(ethyleneglycol)monoacrylate (PEG-A) are known to be readily dispersed in aqueous media and are likely to have increased bioavailability (Bisht, S., et al. J Nanobiology 2007 Apr. 17; 5:3).

In some embodiments, a curcumin compound, or composition comprising a curcumin compound, may be administered intravenously. See, e.g. Example 4 and Example 5. If administered intravenously, preferred carriers are physiological saline or phosphate buffered saline (PBS). The carrier may also comprise DMSO and/or one or more other solubilizing agents. We have shown that DMSO is an effective solubilizing agent and is useful in a formulation for intravenous administration. Other solubilizing agents are well known to the art (see, e.g., Remington's Pharmaceutical Sciences, 18th Ed. Mack Printing Company, 1990, pp. 1289-1329) and may be selected by the skilled worker in consideration of factors including the desired administration route.

Curcumin has very low solubility in water. To increase its solubility, curcumin was dissolved in 3% DMSO in sterile phosphate buffered saline (PBS). Using this solvent system, a 667 μM solution of curcumin was prepared for injection into subjects. When 200 μl of 667 μM solution is injected into a mouse (approximately 4 ml of body fluid), the final concentration of DMSO is expected to be about 0.15%. For intracranial curcumin injections, curcumin was dissolved in 15% DMSO in sterile PBS to obtain a 3 mM solution. When 5 μl of the 3 mM solution is injected directly into the brain (average volume 400 μl), the final concentration is expected to be 40 μM curcumin and less than 0.2% DMSO.
[/quote]

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0197584.html

-----------------

A blog on Bio availability of curcumin:

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-wi ... -curcumin/

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]