Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 7 posts ]   
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

An email from Laura:

Quote:
I've recently gotten a horse that is a very bad bleeder. He bleeds through both the Lasix and
the Shepherd's Purse. I'm unaware of anything else I can give him (legally) that will help him to get over this problem. I've taken great pains to making his stall as dust free as I can and he gallops early in the morning when he goes out. I'm of the thinking that it might be time to just change his discipline. Maybe make him my Pony horse as he is about 16.H and built well. His conformation is exquisite. I've not had him for a long time but I don't want to sell him at all. He's such a personable horse, and has really started to be a very happy horse! Guess I've done the real taboo thing with this particular horse because I'm already quite attached to him. Do you know of anything I might try using to alleviate his bleeding problem?

My reply:

Quote:
My theory , let it hence be known as the "Ahart Hypothesis " is that a large majority of race track bleeding observed is a symptom of respiratory infections of the biofilm type. I would also venture to say that these biofilms are made up of different species, i.e. bacteria and fungal. Biofilms are hard to culture, diagnose, and treat. Plain old anti-biotics won't do! It is also quite likely that this biofilm infection produces a sub-clinical case of scurvy due to the abnormal need for Vitamin C in this infection setting. One of the primary symptoms of scurvy is tissue bleeding! An interpretation of this phenomina by Dr. Levy goes something like this: a lung biofilm infection induces ". . . a state of focal scurvy in the capillaries of affected areas of the lungs. This focal scurvy directly facilitates the rupture of capillaries as they lose their structural integrity, resulting in the coughing up of blood."

I can send you some of my bleeder medicines (Missouri Red & Missouri Black), but that will mostly mask the symptoms and not get at the root cause, the biofilm infection. MISSOURI RED contains herbs that are high in Vitamin C for whatever that might be worth.

http://racehorseherbal.net/eiph.html

Reply from Laura:

Quote:
My horse raced last Friday night. See I knew there was something I'd forgotten to tell you Doug!! He didn't bleed in the race, but bled at the barn when the groom put him in the stall to get a drink I guess he bled pretty badly. He had a bad trip too. It was his first race going 870 yds. Yep!! That's right my friend, that gorgeous creature that you likely thought was a Thoroughbred, is indeed a Quarter Banger. He came out of the gate and got bumped going into the first turn, was forced in, and about the 3/16 pole or just after that the horse behind him clipped his heels, and he was lucky not to have gone down. About 100 yds from the wire he made the lead, and about that time he stopped like he'd been tied to a post, though he did manage to beat a couple of horses!! This was not disappointing to me, as I happen to really love this horse, and knew something was very wrong when he stopped like that. I've only had him since Easter. I'd only race him again if I found something that'd work to stop the bleeding. Lasix takes too damn much out of a horse and I figured with Lasix and the Shepherd's Purse for sure he'd not bleed. But he bled a lot.

My reply:

Quote:
I will mail you a few bottles of my pre-race drench, Missouri Red and Missouri Black, so you can try it on him for his next start.

Laura replies:

Quote:
My horse is racing Saturday night and I wanted to say no matter how he does in this first race "drug free" Doug, I want you to know that I'd never have been able to try this without you, and your expertise and all the support you've given me throughout this training and new special herbal remedies. I'm not sure I'd ever have had the guts to try this without you there to help back me up in my beliefs, and help me to follow this dream I have to help this industry to racing safer in the future. You've given me the stamina and determination to go ahead and give it my best shot and I'm so very grateful for this chance!! If he should win. . . . and I don't have a clue if he will or not! I can only tell you he's ready and worked well with your herbal remedy. Course I can't, as you well are aware duplicate the stresses for a horse that they'll experience in an actual race during the training in the morning, but I do believe we're on the right track here and he is a very happy and a much healthier horse than he was when I raced him at Retama, at which time he was still full of steroids, Lasix, hop and God knows what my last trainer had put in him! Which is why I waltzed him outta his barn the following day after he raced there.

Upon telling my Vet here at Lone Star Park about you and what I'd planned to do in my racing this horse drug free, including no Lasix, he was strongly opposed to the whole "absurd" idea. His word not mine!! I was very offended by his whole attitude about it at first and then I got flack from both my trainer and from my boyfriend/jock---here at home too!! Jim's thoughts were, "you can't be serious in wanting to go against your own Vet?" In which I replied, I most certainly am going against him if he doesn't think it'd be best to race "drug free" if I can do it safely! The horse belongs to me and I told him, "if he didn't wanna ride him, I will have no problem in finding another jockey who damn sure will want the mount!" Jim was highly offended that I might consider it, since he bought me that horse! I said I'm only being an owner Jim, who wants what is best for her horse and wants to give the horse every chance to race under the best possible conditions!! For a week it was pretty much quiet around the barn, a lot of sneers, and the guys just lookin' at their feet and shakin' their heads, not knowing how to change my mind.

Then we worked the old horse with your herbs. Low and behold my Vet comes over after the work to watch my horse and see how he comes back off the work, . . . and whatta ya know, he's suddenly had a change of heart!! Seemingly now he's got a whole new outlook on my plan and is now all for it! My trainer and jock both are completely for it now that the Vet has given his seal of approval. My horse was given only a half dose of your bottle, which was not my instructions, however my trainer took it upon himself to do that as he said, “why waste the stuff on a work?” Let’s save it for when he runs!! Like you might run out of ingredients or some such!! I was furious when he informed me after the work what he'd done. But that wasn't done with my knowledge. Now I can report to you that I'd told Jim to work him easy. Just ease him into a solid breeze and then coast him at a fair pace. Nothing major at all as there isn’t no money in the morning works and I'm acutely aware of this fact. I just wanted to test your remedy mostly and sharpen him for an upcoming race.

My Vet watched the work with me, and I watched this horse take a monster hold of Jim and when the pony horse cut him loose, I was shocked at how Mr. Eye Candy took control of his work. Jim with his feet in the dashboard and strangling this horse was not looking good when they broke off. Jim reached to take a new handhold and that was when my boy said, sit tight jock, you're along for the ride now! Jim didn't have much choice in the work so instead of fighting him, he anchored him as best he could keeping him straight and allowed Candy to move forward off his hindquarters. I wish you could've been there Doug! You'd be able to have seen why I'm so pleased and even excited with this horse! Jim returned to the barn wringing wet with sweat, and beet red in the face and his arms were totally buffed out!! I started to laugh, but instead put on my most serious trainer’s grimace and said, “I thought I said to work him easy, Jim?” Then none of us could keep in our delight! We all laughed and laughed and looked in awe at this horse and how utterly happy he looked and how proud of himself he seemed to be. My Vet put his hand on my shoulder and said can I talk to you over here a minute? I said sure Doc, what's up? He said I owe you and your Herb guy an apology, I see!! You were right I guess, and this horse is a different animal than the one I treated at Retama after he last raced, and when I'm wrong I say so! You may really be onto something here and I hate to admit it but this horse has changed entirely from his earlier demeanor around the track. My horse did in fact trickle a very little bit of blood after he came off the hot walker and put his head down to graze. But when he worked prior to our having him on this new herb and diet Doug, he bled nearly a quart in a bucket! My Vet was around for the whole cooling out period and during the bleeding he did do. He remained supportive and said, well whatever the case, he's a lot better now than he's been in the past. Good work guys!! He still believes that we'd done the best thing by this horse and supports our efforts 100%. We did put the horse on anti-biotics for a week and have his lungs all cleared up now it looks like. He's a Monster on the track, and would seem to be ready to rock n' roll now! Vets given him the A-okay to race! And he's all "Drug Free" once again!!

You've played an instrumental role in your part of making my dream becoming my reality Doug!! I can't say enough to thank you for all you've done.

Laura

My reply:

Quote:
Settle down girl on the praise. :? He ain't won any race yet!

Mmmmmm, bummer, but I guess if you are happy with his work, so be it. He should not even have trickled blood afterwards. However, giving him only HALF DOSE, may be an adequate excuse in this case. One should really give the full dose at all times. Hopefully, he wil get the full dose before he races. Let me know what you give him when he races.

Good luck

Laura reply:

Quote:
I've gotta tell you, you are my hero forever and ever more and you're also a brilliant genius and there are no words to say what is in my heart right now. I'm thrilled with not only my horse’s performance, who I can proudly say got stronger the last 50 yds. from the wire, than he'd started out. His break was expected to be a bust as the track was loose as hell and cuppy from the #6 post out!! He got away bad and got bumped by the #9 horse and the #7 brushed him which never even bothered him. Jim, his jock, said about 100 yds out, he started his apprehensive pace which was visibly slowed and for a second there I thought, oh no, he's all done here. NOT!! Jim said this is a very smart horse and he'd acted like he was expecting to bleed there for a few strides and then all of a sudden Jim said it was like: “Hey Man!! Wow this is alright and I don't hurt now, I can go-go-goooooo!!!” It looked like he'd gone through some psychotherapy or had some wild revelation. There isn't a description with enough words to express what I mean and I can only hope you see that I'm elated and proud and he'd not lost this race at all Doug.

He was facing a bunch that are not the slouches he's been facing in the past! I swear when they'd gotten to the sixteenth pole or just inside it, the #6 horse ducked outside and crossed 4 lanes of traffic quickly and I think that's the move that had cost us 4th place money!! He took his focus off the race for one second and looked at the #6 and like what the hell are you doing here? Gonna run over me? He didn't change positions or spook at all but he did lose his focus briefly. But he never stopped trying except at the 100 yds. like just as they hit the main track. I could see his face clearly. He changed like he'd worried there for one second. He got himself into gear with little urging from Jim. I'd told Jim the main objective was to get him through this stress free and unfettered by any bleeding!! OMG, you are something of a Wizard!! As the horses neared the wire he was making up some ground and after the race this big nutball didn't wanna pull up. Jim nearly was ready to holler for the outrider who he was fast approaching. The old horse grabbed his ass twice trying to get away from Jim's grip on the rein. He looked so happy and that is a look he's not displayed in a race before.

My Vet would like to know you better and more than I've told him. He's got no computer at his disposal and don't know how to use one or he'd write you!! I gave him your address in case he gets a wild hair to write a letter!! This was an event as my horse was the worst bleeder, he'd known and he was very certain that if I'd run this horse again that it'd ruin him permanently. After watching all the races all night long, I knew the place to be was the inside and not out there past the #6 post. The track was powder out there and only one horse the whole night won from the outside and that one was way tons the best!! No shit Doug, we're every bit a winner as anyone had been on Saturday night! I'm so proud of you and me to have had the courage to follow a dream and make some waves.

My horse did not bleed or cough at all!! He was bouncing around on the hot walker buckin' and playing happily when Jim and I returned to the barn. I waited and watched him for maybe 45 minutes or so and he was just feeling like all that and his bag of oats, too!!! Candy was perfect yesterday and you'd never have known he'd been in a race!! Once he'd figured out he'd not have to go through any pain, it was so amazing!! His head came up a little and then lower and he really dug in from his hindquarters and was using himself like I'd never seen him do in the a.m.s. He was perfect and looked like the only really well broke horse in the field. He broke the best he could and didn't let the horses on either side interfere with his focus and he was perfectly straight throughout the race!! I'm just elated.

Oh you'd asked what we gave him for a dose. Well I wasn't there but Charlie said he'd had a little problem deciding which to give the old horse, (yes I did tell him to give Missouri Red) so he mixed the two together and he gave him 300 cc's in all. Said since he was wearing so much of the herb meds after one bottle he'd been not wanting to risk any mistakes so he gave the rest to him. We've got a half a bottle left.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

just received the below email from an Irish customer who treats thoroughbreds and greyhounds, who I sent some of my bleeding formulas. She writes:

Quote:
Dear Doug,

Oh forgot to mention , your leg paint is brilliant.
Having great results with sore muscles in greyhounds,also used it on my lower back,
I have a history of sacro-illial problems, I had enormous relief from just one application.

Also, the Missouri Red certainly did work on 3 occasions on the same horse.
It was administered 1/2 hour before race. This patient has history of bad bleeding.

Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

More from m y Irish healer:

Quote:
"Well the good news!!! I went home to examine that horse on the Vit C. He is back in training a few weeks now, so under my examination Friday, I gave my brother the all clear for a piece of work, he worked on Saturday morning, and great. He is very healthy.

The procedure as follows:
I gave him my own detox meds first, followed by my own formula for Deep seated mucus. He was also given the LET Vit C, [ 90mls orally for 10 days ] Since then we have given him 30cc intravenous injection Wed and Sat every week. He is as healthy as a trout. I am so pleased as I can always be 100% sure under my Acupuncture exam if a horse is going to bleed or if he has bled. So, brilliant he is showing absolutely no signs. I will continue to give him the regular injections up until he races. This is what I have been waiting for for years. Thank you so much.

Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have been working with an Irish herbalist that specializes in
racehorses for several years now. She has had really tough patients that
bled over these years. I mostly have sent her my theories and remedies on
EIPH in which biofilm infections and Vitamin C plays a large role. She has
come to the conclusion that Vitamin C is important and that biofilm
infections are likely causes of many cases, she has seen in EIPH horses,
but there are a number of stubborn cases that seem not to respond. Through
traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) techniques she thinks she has determined
that in the case of these stubborn cases, DDSP (Dorsal Displacement of the Soft Palate, aka in accordance with Dr. Cook's theories) are the likely cause. She wrote me a few weeks ago:

Quote:
"On the subject of the Vitamin C and EIPH. I would honestly say it will work
on horses that do not suffer with DDSP. On my findings DDSP is rather
rampant these days, so one would be advised to definitely use the Vit C but
to get the horse checked out for the soft palate. The strange thing about
this problem is that it is very hard to diagnose, and a rider will not hear
it, as that of the Laryngeal paralysis. It is only at the very late stage
that one will hear them gulp. One thing I have noticed with some of them is
they tend to sort of wind suck , or sort of gulp all the time. I can see why
Dr Cook makes the connection with the stomach here. I have noticed that
too... In the Chinese pathology the stomach meridian runs down the side of
the molars then parallel lines down the neck bilateral to the Adams Apple,
if there is any disturbance in the external meridian eg. the stomach, there
will also be problems internally. They are both connected. In other words
any musco skeletal or external problem on any meridian will also effect the
internal organ, that is with every organ. It is truly fascinating It does
then make perfect sence, that if the bit is causing pain in the mouth and
across the stomach meridian and the stomach is both internally and
externally connected there will be a problem. Then you have to take into
account the soft palate is a muscle in the mouth and if the bit is
interfering with the function of this muscle then it is obvious the nerve
function will be affected. There it is Doug, the muscle will slacken and
then the flow of air through the passage is impeded, and then the airway
and the lung is compromised... Also take into account that is Stomach is the
mother or supplier of energy to the lung. When one is not functioning the
other suffers...... I have learnt so much from Chinese medicine, and that is
why I can diagnose so many different problems. I have learnt so much about
the horse in the last 15 years and after examining thousands, it is so
fascinating. I still have a lot to learn, but boy I have seen this pathology
show up so many times now. I did say many years ago to one of my trainers
that the soft palate had something to do with the Stomach and its meridian
blockage. I can see now that Dr Cook's findings have always been at the back
of my brain.."

She just wrote me today with the following results on a horse that has
for the first time raced in Dr. Cook's Bridle in Ireland. She writes me:

Quote:
"I have news for you, my first DDSP patient wearing the Bitless bridle has
won first time out, in a mile race. He led from flag fall and could not be
caught, traveled very well , didn't hang and recovered well.. He was a bad
case, 9yr old with long history of problems and had been retired to stud at
4yr old, after winning his maiden,a Group 3 and placed 2nd in a Group 1. He
had been retired to stud with a lot of problems.. He is the horse that I
have treated for years now, and had not seen for a while, and came back to
me when distressed and could not breath after a piece of work. He almost
collapsed....He also had the abscess in the scrotum... So, there it is The
first one...."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

I received this reply from a trainer racing in Kentucky:

Quote:
This is really fascinating actually. I've had discussions with my vet in the past about a horse who displaced repeatedly but out of 6 races, only one jockey was ever able to hear it. Now this guy didn't make any other noises at any other time to indicate. We treated also for recurring lung infections, however, this horse was not a bleeder. Eventually, we thought everything was right with him and he did win then, but kept displacing thereafter again. Took experimenting for a little bit with different things, including a spoon bit, but nothing helped. Turns out he had ulcers. Once we treated the ulcers, he stopped displacing altogether. Ulcer pain apparently caused ragged breathing after the first 2/3 of the race, at which point the ragged breathing contributed to his displacing, which, of course, caused him to stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Just got this email from an owner in Australia:

Quote:
Hello

I was very glad to stumble across your article on eiph, I thought it was groundbreaking!!

I took what you said about biofilm a step further, nebulized a racehorse daily for 7 treatments with a mixture of furusemide and bicarbonate, 1 ml furusemide and 4 ml of bicarbonate solution.

The horse in question was stakes placed as a three yr old and then showed no form for over twelve months. After treatment the horse in question ran second in two races, one at metropolitan racecourse!

As you know there are so many variables with racehorses but in my heart I think this played a huge role in her rehabilitation, considering we were going to retire her.

Regards,

B.M.
Perth Australia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

From the MASTER OF HERBOLOGY text:

Bleeding from the Lungs

Bur of Marigold (water agrimony) 1.25 oz
Ginger Root crushed .5 oz

Simmer in 1.5 pints of water down to one pint. Strain and keep warm and take 1/2 cupful every hour.

In reference to the water agrimony we desire to say that this plant is different to the Agrimonia Eupatoria (Agrimony, called also Stickwort). The Bur Marigold does not grow on this continent so far as we know. It is a diuretic sedative, styptic, antiseptic and diaphoretic. It will cleanse mucus deposits and it healing to all mucous surfaces.

In the hemorrhage from either lungs, stomach or bowels, it is a most excellent agent. Dr. Nowell urges its use in a ll such cases and assures the practitioner that he will be safe in looking for satisfactory results.

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 7 posts ]