Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]   
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I have long been a stickler for daily maintenance of the hoof in my racehorses. I would daily clean them, mud them with bentonite or a similar clay and brush the outside surface with a hoof oil. I never did have a horse pop a quarter crack, etc by doing this.

Today, I received a posting of an interesting solution to human brittle nails which I would think could just as easily apply to the equine hoof. You might want to consider it for your horse's hooves. It is posted by a respected researcher, Brooks Bradley in the Colloidal Silver group:

Quote:
" Having to address a number of recurring inquiries relating todifficulties/inconveniences/frustrations relating to brittle/splitting finger nails, imposed over recent years....prompted one of us to evaluate for a simple methodology that would offer some acceptable solution. Early-on it was determined that....contrary to common belief.....special additions of gelatin/collagen to the existing diet do not---of themselves--- solve the problem. One can obtain just as effective a result through eating a piece of chicken----as by consuming gelatin concentrates. (This troubled me, especially since I had been operating under the misconception [principally based on the very high protein percentage of gelatin/collagen fractions] that chitin-based cell structures would respond most favorably to gelatin supplements.) The truth of the matter seems to be that the principal causes of nail brittleness/splitting is the dehydration effect....especially as we age. Without boring you with ancillary details, I simply state that we confirmed that nails dehydrate just as does the skin (they are both constructed of the same type material). Additionally, we determined that using skin conditioning substances containing urea were the most effective protocol for addressing the dehydration insult. Products such as Eucerin (not recommending as a specific purchase)contain acceptable levels of urea.
We found a little modification to that recommendated by the various skin care companies....increased the effectiveness of their re-hydration procedures-----by almost an order of magnitude....in time. It was, simply, just through mixing the gel or liquid moisturizing agent (containing urea) at a concentration of 70% (by volume) with DMSO (full strength) 30% (by volume).
The overall suppleness improvement of the nails was quite dramatic....manifesting within (sometimes) hours. However, do remember that fingernails, generally, grow at about about 2 or 3 mm per month. Therefore, complete correction via regrowth requires a one-to-one relationship between the crack length and the time for regrowth.
We determined that daily application was the preferred interval. However, once every 2 days proved acceptable...especially if the subject used gloves when washing dishes and did not display a fetish for over-frequent hand-washing. Additionally, the improved tissue flexibility around the nail-bed was dramatic (in some cases).
While not of great health import, I did feel this simple procedure recommended itself sufficiently to be posted for membership reading.

Sincerely, Brooks Bradley"

I agree heartlly with Brooks that the key to bad human nails and equine hooves is hydration or the use of something that will protect its moisture content! His formula of 70% Urea + 30% DMSO should make a great hoof dresseing for problem hooves! Urea should be pretty cheap to buy, too! Try it~!

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 1 post ]