Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next 
 Post subject: Nebulizer solutions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:24 am 
Site Admin

I think a nebulizer can be invaluable in treating many lung problems and that goes for general race track bleeding as well. However, I am not sure how useful this might be for allergies or palate flipping. For general allergeries, you should look into MSM. Actually, I think most forms of observed race track bleeding is a product of biofilm infection. It is really the only thing that makes sense to me in why racehorses bleed!

In all likelihood, equine pulmonary bleeding is a symptom of a biofilm infection in the horse's lungs. Biofilms are colonies of bacteria and possibly other microorganism types that have found that living together, protected by a self-secreted polymeric matrix can evade normal immune responses and foster a viable community on a living or non living surface. Dental plaque is probably our best known and studied biofilm, but it is becoming increasingly appreciated that biofilms can be found anywhere in the body. Biofilms are microorganisms characteristically encased by slimy, gluey films that help these pathogenic microorganisms adhere to moist lung tissue and evade the horse's immune cells and commonly administered antibiotics. Biofilms cannot easily be cultured or detected. A study done by Cross, Ramadan, & Thomas, The impact of Furosemide on Pseudomonas Aeruginsoa Biofilms, found that furosemide (lasix) at 10mg/ml reduced some biofilms by 50% at a pH of 8-9. Furosemide seemed to destabilize biofilms at pH-dependent concentrations. Perhaps this is why lasix, generally, but not always, seems to help race track bleeders? It is not so much its diuretic action but rather its biofilm destabilization characteristics that produces efficacy in the bleeding racehorse. Fusomide seems to be only effective at proper pH and specific concentrations which in real life could be quite variable in individual racehorses and racing conditions and may be one reason why we see so much variation in Lasix's efficacy on track.

It seems quite likely to me that if indeed a biofilm infection is at the heart of our racetrack bleeding problem—that it is in all probablity not a simple bacterial biofilm. It could quite likely be made up of a combination of bacteria and fungal components all working in a synergistic environment to further each's goal of survival to the detriment of our racehorse's health. Not only are biofilms off the radar screen of our racetrack vets but a hybrid biofilm consisting of bacteria and fungi would be totally unheard of by this group! Many times, fungi will be secondary colonizers of a biofilm. It has been written that bacteria in these hybrid biofilms can be up to 4000x more resistant to our common antibiotics and the quencher is that most common antibiotics have very little effect on fungi. A recent study found fungi to be a consistent component in biofilms in sinus mucosal samples from patients with eosinophilic mucin chronic rhinosinusitis (EMCRS) and allergic fungal rhinosinusitis (AFRS). Why should the equine be much different? Certainly, one of the protocols to treating bleeding horses is to be very careful about the hay which is fed, guarding against moldy (fungi infested) hay! Maybe this should be a tip-off of sorts?

Now the question is how to combat these lung biofilms and I thnk nebulizer solutions are one way to go. One has to vaporize an adequate anti-microbial for infusion into the lungs PLUS some thing that will dismantle the protective biofilm to allow penetration of any vaporized antimicrobial. I think DMSO ased solutions may be very helpful in penetrating the polymeric matrix . I would certainly use a DMSO based solution. One may also want to experiment with other known compounds that will dissolve the biofilm such as certain specific Fibrinolytic Enzymes: nattokinase and lumbrokinase. Also using the chelating compound, EDTA to remove minerals from the biofilm will further help with its destruction.

Here are two interesting websites on biofilms and therapuetics:

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com ... eases.html

http://www.allergyresearchgroup.com/Mar ... sp-90.html

In one of the above sites, Cohen suggests this protocol:

Quote:
First do the enzymes along with EDTA, then thirty minutes later, add in an arsenal of antimicrobials. I use formulations containing berberine, artemisinin, citrus seed extract, black walnut hulls, artemisia herb, echinacea, goldenseal, gentian, tea tree oil, fumitory, gentian, galbanum oil, oregano oil, neem, and pharmaceuticals as well when necessary, such as Vancomycin, Diflucan, Gentamycin.

Focus: When you began to work at dissolving the biofilms, did you find the bugs?

Cohen: Oh yes! But I found something else that was just as fascinating, something nobody was thinking about … It’s standard knowledge that biofilm bacteria sequester calcium, magnesium and iron to help build that matrix. Minerals give the biofilm integrity—as if you’re building a wall … To address this, first you use fibrinolytics to help dissolve the fibrin, then you use EDTA to chelate out the minerals. And guess what? We started getting huge dumps of toxic metal. Now why is that? I think the answer points to something so huge, whether we’re dealing with autism or lyme disease or multiple sclerosis or lupus or even cancer.

Cohen: Remember, these patients are very young; some are just a few years old. So I will recommend half a capsule of each, two times a day. That would be a 50 milligram capsule of nattokinase, and a 20 milligram capsule of lumbrokinase. First do the enzymes along with EDTA, then thirty minutes later, add in an arsenal of antimicrobials. I use formulations containing berberine, artemisinin, citrus seed extract, black walnut hulls, artemisia herb, echinacea, goldenseal, gentian, tea tree oil, fumitory, gentian, galbanum oil, oregano oil, neem, and pharmaceuticals as well when necessary, such as Vancomycin, Diflucan, Gentamycin. I use a different one every day. Then an hour later you come in with the binders to help mop up the debris. I use chitosan, citrus pectin, a special bicarbonate formula, organic germanium, chlorella and others. I also use buffering agents, such as buffered vitamin C, since when the body is destroying bacteria it becomes acidic. Minerals must be

Cohen: Yes, I think biofilms are a huge missing piece in Lupus, Lyme Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and any autoimmune-type chronic infection. You have to ask, what compels the immune system to maintain this state of dysfunction? Ask yourself, how could an organism perceived by the immune system as foreign survive its presence? Either something has corrupted the immune system, or the organism has transformed itself in a way that the immune system can’t find it. That’s what the biofilm does. I believe it’s one of the biggest medical issues we’re dealing with today.

This seems to be basically a good strategy to me except DO NOT use Black walnut on horses! One can run into toxic responses with that herb when used on the equine!

As far as the actual antimicrobial needed in conjunction with DMSO, enzymes, or chelating agents like EDTA, I would experiment with Colloidal SIlver, and/or a host of other anti-microbial (particularly anti-fungals) known herbs which I will discuss shortly in another post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post subject: Re: Nebulizer solutions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Some Fibrinolytic Enzymes to consider to combat biofilms:

1) Nattokinase

2) Serrapeptase

3) lumbrokinase

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
The biofilm, with its polysaccharide backbone and residual debris that is associated with the biofilm, provides a barrier to deep-seated bacteria. Unless the biofilm is removed or disrupted, complete cellular kill within the biofilm structure is not achieved by chemical or physical agents. Stripping away of the biofilm components e.g., the polysaccharide backbone with the accumulated debris accomplishes several objectives: 1) reduced opportunity for gene transfer; 2) increased penetration of chemical and physical agents; and 3) increased free-flow of nutrients which would elevate the metabolic activity of the cells and make them more susceptible to chemical and physical agents. Furthermore, removal or disruption of the biofilm will free cells from a sessile state to make them planktonic which also increases their susceptibility to chemical and physical agents. This invention consists of two or more hydrolytic enzymes. One enzyme has the specificity to degrade the biofilm's exopolysaccharide backbone structure of a biofilm; at least one other enzyme is hydrolytic in nature, having the capability to degrade proteins, polypeptides, lipids, lipid complexes of sugars and proteins (lipopolysaccharides and lipoproteins). Still another aspect of the invention consists of two or more enzymes, wherein at least one enzyme has the capability of degrading a biofilm structure produced by a bacterial strain, or a mixed combination of various strains, and the other enzymes(s) has (have) the capability of acting directly upon the bacteria, causing lysis of the bacterial cell wall. One or more moieties are attached to the enzymes, forming either a single unit or multiple units. The moieties are attached to the enzymes either through chemical synthetic procedures or recombinant technology to give the enzyme moiety the capability of binding either reversibly, non-covalently, or irreversibly (covalent bonded) to a surface near the biofilm or the biofilm itself. The purpose of this multi-enzyme system is directed at the degradation and removal of the biofilm with the contemporaneous bactericidal consequences for bacteria that were embedded in the biofilm's structure.

Type of Enzymes
1. Generally, enzymes in the class EC 4.2.2._, for degrading the polysaccharide backbone structure of biofilms which are polysaccharide lyases:

EC 3.1.2 Glycoside Hydrolases, Galactoaminidases,
Galactosidases, Glucosaminidases, Glucosidases,
Mannosidases
EC 3.1.2.18 Neuraminidase
EC 3.2. — Dextranase, Mutanase, Mucinase, Amylase,
Fructanase, Galactosidase, Muramidase, Levanase,
Neuraminidase
EC 3.2.1.20 α-Glucosidases
EC 3.2.1.21 β-Glucosidase
EC 3.2.1.22 α-Glucosidase
EC 3.2.1.25 β-D-Mannosidase
EC 3.2.1.30 Acetylglucosaminidase
EC 3.2.1.35 Hyaluronoglucosaminidase
EC 3.2.1.51 α-L-Eucosidase
EC 4.2.2.1 Hyaluronate Lyase
EC 4.2.2.2 Pectate Lyase
EC 4.2.2.3 Alginate Lyase [Poly(β-D-Mannuronate) Lyase]
EC 4.2.2.4 Chondroitin ABC Lyase
EC 4.2.2.5 Chondroitin AC Lyase
EC 4.2.2.6 Oligogalacturonide Lyase
EC 4.2.2.7 Heparin Lyase
EC 4.2.2.8 Heparan Lyase [Heparitin-Sulfate Lyase]
EC 4.2.2.9 Exopolygalacturonate Lyase
EC 4.2.2.10 Pectin Lyase
EC 4.2.2.11 Poly (α-L-Guluronate) Lyase
EC 4.2.2.12 Xanthan Lyase
EC 4.2.2.13 Exo-(1,4)-α-D-Glucan Lyase

Enzymes for removing debris embedded within the biofilm structure. These include many EC sub-classes with the general class of hydrolytic and digestive enzymes. In descriptive terms, they include enzymes that facilitate the breaking of chemical bonds and include the following:

EC 3.4. — Endopeptidases; Peptide Hydrolases
EC 3.4.11 Aminopeptidases
EC 3.4.11.5 Propyl Aminopeptidases
EC 3.4.14 Glycylpropyl Dipeptidases; Dipeptidyl Peptidase
EC 3.4.21 Serine Endopeptidases
EC 3.4.21.1 Chymotrypsin
EC 3.4.21.4 Trypsin
EC 3.5. — Amidohydrolases
EC 3.5.1.25 N-Acetylglucosamine-6-phosphate Deacetylase
EC 4.1.3 Oxo-Acid Lyases
EC 4.1.3.3 N-Acetylmuraminate Lyases
EC 5.1.3 — Carbohydrate Epimerases
EC 5.3.1.10 Glucosamine-6-phosphate Isomerases

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:26 am 
Site Admin

http://www.silvermedicine.org/h2o2.html

Hydrogen Peroxide and colloidal silver may be a good nebulizer solution to formulate!

Quote:
Colloidal silver combined with Hydrogen Peroxide is quickly proving to be an effective combination. This combination can be used in oral, IV and external treatments. Please keep in mind that IV treatments should be considered highly experimental and should only be performed by an experienced medical staff.

Adding hydrogen peroxide to a completed batch of colloidal silver atomizes and ionizes any metallic silver particles remaining in the solution. If enough hydrogen peroxide is used, the end result is a product with little if any actual silver particle content.

This process is readily observed by careful attention to the tyndall effect before, during, and after the H2O2 addition and subsequent reaction. Although we have demonstrated that once all of the silver particle content is ionized, some hydrogen peroxide can stabilize in the colloidal silver, it is generally considered that the H2O2 content has a relatively short shelf life. Our experience to date suggests that the greatest action ( in the treatment of readily accessible infections ) occurs within 5 - 30 minutes of combining the hydrogen peroxide with the colloidal silver, during the period where the catalyst reaction produced by the H2O2 is still occuring.

Increased bioavailability is likely one of the results of the hydrogen peroxide ( H2O2 ) colloidal silver combination. It is possible that that the reaction between silver and H2O2 results in an actual delivery mechanism that increases adsorption of silver directly into tissues that come in direct contact with the colloidal silver. However, this is only one possible explanation for the increased effectiveness.

According to Water and Science Technology, Volume 31 5-6, a 1:1000 solution of colloidal silver to H2O2 increased the efficacy of colloidal silver by up to 100 times under some circumstances ( which remain unknown ) against bacteria. This indicates that an extremely small amount of colloidal silver with hydrogen peroxide is beneficial, and we see no reason to believe that the opposite is not true, in that extremely small amounts of H2O2 and colloidal silver were used in the study.

High H2O2 / colloidal silver strengths can be used externally with fine results. A 3% H2O2 colloidal silver solution can be mixed and used as an excellent disinfectant and water treatment method, and can be used as a skin cleanser/conditioner for healthy skin tissues.

Hydrogen peroxide as an addition to colloidal silver is not very well documented although the mechanisms at work are. Two treatment philosophies prevail:

1) Using colloidal silver to augment H2O2 therapy. A small amount of colloidal silver is added to an H2O2 solution. It is wise to dilute the H2O2 down to the desired concentration, and then add the colloidal silver to the end solution. Then, one uses this end solution as one normally would in H2O2 therapy ( but NOT for use in inhalation therapy ). Adding three drops of a 35% H2O2 solution to six to eight ounces of water for internal use, as previously mentioned, is the standard recommended starting point ( see section below for more information ). For external use and for use as a mouthwash, the 3% end solution need not be diluted. The H2O2/colloidal silver external solution is EXCELLENT to treat ear conditions and infections that use the inner ear as an "incubation chamber". CAUTION: A 3% H2O2 solution created from colloidal silver is much more reactive than a standard 3% H2O2 solution. If one has experienced chronic ear or other tissue infections, unpleasantness can be avoided by using a 1.5% dilution. Simply take the 3% end solution, and dilute it further.

2) Using H2O2 to augment colloidal silver therapy. Adding small amounts of H2O2 to a final colloidal silver batch prior to use both enhances the colloidal silver and provides the benefits associated with hydrogen peroxide use. All dosage levels for hydrogen peroxide should be tailored to personal tolerance levels and used with informed caution.

The amounts of hydrogen peroxide to use will depend on the type and quality of colloidal silver. The higher the particle content, the more hydrogen peroxide will need to be used. Peroxide strips can be purchased to measure the end PPM of hydrogen peroxide.

When using colloidal silver and H2O2 internally, it is extremely important to hold the solution in the mouth for at least 60 seconds, or longer, to avoid the famed stomach upset that is sometimes associated with hydrogen peroxide therapy. Doing so will prevent any discomfort associated with use.

H2O2 as used in the mouth may cause discomfort and tissue damage considering any actual lesions located in the mouth ( as apposed to more common infections ). In such a case, it is wise to start with a very diluted solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Admin

I just run acrross a very interesting abstract:

Quote:
Effect of resveratrol on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in rats and its mechanism"

The purpose of this study is to establish COPD animal model by intra-tracheal instillation of bleomycin (BLM) once and exposure to cigarette smoke for continuous 27 d, and to observe the effects of the inhalation on the model. At the 29th day, blood samples were taken from cervical artery for blood-gas analysis and parameters of lung function were recorded. Bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) was collected to measure intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) concentration. The results showed that atomization inhaled resveratrol could alleviate rat COPD lung injury accompanied by amelioration of pathological changes, increase the ratio of forced expiratory volume in 0.3 s (FEV0.3) and forced vital capacity (FVC), and decrease the ICAM-1 level in BALF. The ultimate reduction of inflammatory factors was involved, at least in part, in the mechanism of resveratrol effects.

This would suggest to me that resveratrol or one of its analogs may be of much value nebulizing in our racehorses for lung infections. I suspect an osage orange extract which contains oxyresveatrol may be something one could use to get similar benefits. I would go with either a ethanol/water extract or a DMSO extract and nebulize it.

To read about the Osage orange tree, go to my webpage at:

http://racehorseherbal.net/osageorange.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Wobenzyme is a combination formulation of various enzymes:

animal-derived:

1) chymotrypsin
2) trypsin
3) pancreatin

plant-derived :

1) papain from papaya
2) bromelain from pineapple

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Admin

A study involving a silver compound for lung infections:

Quote:
In Vitro and Murine Efficacy and Toxicity Studies of Nebulized SCC1, a Methylated Caffeine-Silver(I) Complex, for Treatment of Pulmonary Infections

Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 August; 53(8): 3285–3293

The expanding clinical challenge of respiratory tract infections due to resistant bacteria necessitates the development of new forms of therapy. The development of a compound composed of silver coupled to a methylated caffeine carrier (silver carbene complex 1 [SCC1]) that demonstrated in vitro efficacy against bacteria, including drug-resistant organisms, isolated from patients with respiratory tract infections was described previously. The findings of current in vitro studies now suggest that bactericidal concentrations of SCC1 are not toxic to airway epithelial cells in primary culture. Thus, it was hypothesized that SCC1 could be administered by the aerosolized route to concentrate delivery to the lung while minimizing systemic toxicity. In vivo, aerosolized SCC1 delivered to mice resulted in mild aversion behavior, but it was otherwise well tolerated and did not cause lung inflammation following administration over a 5-day period. The therapeutic efficacy of SCC1 compared to that of water was shown in a 3-day prophylaxis protocol, in which mice infected with a clinical strain of Pseudomonas aeruginosa had increased survival, decreased amounts of bacteria in the lung, and a lower prevalence of bacteremia. Similarly, by using an airway infection model in which bacteria were impacted in the airways by agarose beads, the administration of SCC1 was significantly superior to water in decreasing the lung bacterial burden and the levels of bacteremia and markers of airway inflammation. These observations indicate that aerosolized SCC1, a novel antimicrobial agent, warrants further study as a potential therapy for bacterial respiratory tract infections.

As reported previously, the silver-caffeine compound designated SCC1 was effective for the inhibition of the in vitro growth of numerous respiratory pathogens, including strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and multidrug-resistant organisms from the Burkholderia cepacia complex for which the MIC90 was 6 μg/ml (MIC range, 1 to 10 μg/ml; the MIC90 is the concentration at which 90% of the strains tested fail to grow) (20). Other silver carbene complexes have demonstrated exceptional and comparable broad-spectrum activity against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria; fungi; methicillin-resistant S. aureus; and the biosafety level 3 bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei, Burkholderia mallei, Bacillus anthracis, and Yersinia pestis (16, 17, 28, 29, 31, 33). In particular, the MIC of SCC1 for the mucoid clinical strain of P. aeruginosa studied here, strain PA M57-15, is 2 μg/ml. This strain had previously been well studied in a mouse model of airway infection (36).

Prior to the in vivo studies, the in vitro cytotoxicity of SCC1 was investigated. Concentrations of SCC1 encompassing the MIC90 noted in previous studies were applied to primary cultures of mTECs without apparent toxicity. While these cell cytotoxicity studies could be supplemented with the investigation of biochemical markers of cell injury, the absence of cell death with the use of concentrations below 200 μg SCC1/ml was notable, particularly because the 24-h direct incubation period was likely greater than that which the respiratory epithelium would encounter in vivo. Moreover, the previously reported microarray analysis of SCC1- and water-treated mTECs showed minimal differences in gene expression after 24 h (20). These findings together suggested that the concentrations of SCC1 that would be required for bacterial growth inhibition were not toxic to airway epithelial cells, and in vivo studies seemed warranted.

Initial in vivo studies were aimed at investigating the potential toxicity of SCC1 delivered to the airways. To deliver SCC1, a micropump nebulizer, which could provide particles capable of delivery to the alveoli (<5 μm), was used to provide a static exposure over 5 min two times daily for 5 days (26). The precise amount of silver that was delivered to the lung in these treatment models has yet to be determined, in part because the amount appears to be very low. The immediate harvesting of the lungs after a single dose or after the last of multiple doses followed by homogenization and attempted quantification of Ag(I) by mass spectroscopy failed to demonstrate a signal greater than that found in the lungs of the water-treated control animals (data not shown). It is possible, however, that SCC1 was also delivered orally, because the animals ingested compound that had been deposited by aerosol on their fur through grooming. Although an initial aversion response to the aerosolized SCC1 was noted, our investigations revealed that this was most likely due to the caffeine derivative carrier rather than the silver moiety.

The toxicology of silver has been remarkably understudied, likely because silver causes so few clinically significant problems. At the cellular level, silver salts inhibit the proliferation of some cell types, including lymphocytes and keratinocytes (12, 18). Silver has been described to stimulate the respiratory burst in neutrophils (19), which may enhance bacterial clearance but which could also increase inflammation (9). Suggested mechanisms of silver cytotoxicity include the inhibition of cellular respiration with a loss of ATP (15). Other studies showed that silver had no cytotoxic effects (1, 6). Consequently, the safety of silver-based antimicrobials is still an open question. The studies of the cytotoxicity of SCC1 reported here begin to address this question. Given the broad therapeutic window between the MIC90 found for respiratory pathogens, 6 μg/ml (20), and the 50% lethal dose for respiratory epithelial cells treated with SCC1, 289 μg/ml, this compound appears to have a very low level of toxicity at the doses delivered. This conclusion is supported by the findings of the in vivo studies, which showed that the administration of SCC1 by nebulization to mice results in no toxic effects, other than a mild aversion to the methylated caffeine carrier.

The efficacy of SCC1 was tested in two specific lung infection protocols that were developed to model two types of disease that might be treated with aerosolized SCC1. The infection achieved by the direct intratracheal instillation of motile bacteria models acute pneumonia in humans, while the instillation of bacteria-laden beads models the chronic infection of the airways seen in bronchiectasis CF patients and non-CF patients. This agarose bead infection model has features similar to the features of clinical infections in patients with CF, namely, obstruction of small airways with bacteria-laden material and the restriction of inflammation primarily to the peribronchial areas (27). More representative of the human disease would be a chronic lung infection model that developed over several months; however, such a model is not readily available (14). Nonetheless, in each model, the SCC1 aerosol decreased the lung bacterial burden, indicating that it had a beneficial antibacterial effect. Furthermore, survival in the SCC1-treated groups in both models appeared to be linked to averting bacteremia, as indicated by the striking difference in the number of animals in each treatment group in which bacteria disseminated to the spleen. The results obtained with the two infection models differed. The biochemical parameters of inflammation did not correlate with the attenuated inflammation seen in the SCC1-treated animals in the acute infection model, whereas they correlated directly with the decreased inflammation of the lungs of the SCC1-treated animals in the agarose bead model. One possible explanation is that the initial inoculum is necessarily lower in the agarose bead model than the acute infection model and may consequently evoke a different time course of inflammation.

Our report on the use of aerosolized silver as an antimicrobial for pulmonary infections joins a recent resurgence in interest in silver compounds that includes the development of several different preparations for topical use, some of which incorporate nanocrystalline silver (5, 10). This report is the first to investigate the direct nebulization of a silver carbene complex in solution as a potential therapy for pulmonary infections. Given that SCC1 appears to be safe and effective in these animal models of lung infection, further studies of SCC1 and other silver carbene compounds, either directly aerosolized in solution or in a nanoparticle suspension (17), appear to be warranted. Nebulized silver-based antimicrobials may serve as useful adjuncts to the current therapies for difficult-to-treat pulmonary infections.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Magnesium Chloride is another substance that can offer much medicinal value to nebulized solutions. I is a common and safe chemical that has been used against various infections successfully. It is of value in all lung infections but may be less so with biofilm type infections as it is thought Magnesium can strengthen biofilm matrices.

7.5g magnesium chloride per 100ml of distilled water

Quote:
Another French doctor, A. Neveu, cured several diphtheria patients with magnesium chloride within two days. He also published 15 cases of poliomyelitis that were cured within days if treatment was started immediately, or within months if paralysis had already progressed. Neveu also found magnesium chloride effective with asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia and emphysema; pharyngitis, tonsillitis, hoarseness, common cold, influenza, whooping cough, measles, rubella, mumps, scarlet fever; poisoning, gastro-enteritis, boils, abscesses, whitlow, infected wounds and osteomyelitis.
In more recent years Dr Vergini and others have confirmed these earlier results and have added more diseases to the list of successful uses: acute asthma attacks, shock, tetanus, herpes zoster, acute and chronic conjunctivitis, optic neuritis, rheumatic diseases, many allergic diseases, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and beneficial effects in cancer therapy. In all of these cases magnesium chloride had been used and gave much better results than other magnesium compounds.

Quote:
Off-label nebulization is a rapidly growing area of patient care and in time new research and practical experience will bring us much more information on how magnesium and other agents like sodium bicarbonate, iodine, peroxide and glutathione can be administered directly into the lungs for many difficult-to-treat conditions.

When it comes to using iodine in a nebulizer special caution is needed. The choice of iodine is important because putting in potassium, which is found in Lugol’s, is dangerous. Potassium chloride, another salt of potassium, is used for lethal injection so I recommend only Nascent Iodine. Nebulization with iodine offers an extremely strong therapy which can clear the lungs quite rapidly of infections. Therapeutic concentrations can be increased for desired effect but it is recommended that dosages start at the low end unless there is an emergency situation. I would start my first iodine treatment with a weak solution, 3 – 5 drops and slowly increase to ten drops or more closely monitoring the experience. As long as the patient displays no discomfort or side effects concentration can be increased strongly especially when in a life threatening situation. One should expect much quicker and more dramatic results with iodine then with H2O2.

From Dr Brownstein:

Quote:
I have suggested that people put iodine into a nebulizer for aerosol treatment for transdermal effect into the lung tissues in the case of lung cancer, emphysema, asthma and tuberculosis. I make the recommendation to do the same with magnesium chloride, sodium bicarbonate and glutathione. It seems obvious that iodine would make the ideal first line of defense in influenza prevention and without doubt in the treatment of both swine flu and regular influenza. Iodine, teamed up with these other primary and very necessary substances, offers an exceptionally strong defense and treatment against viral infection. It certainly is better than the antiviral Tamiflu, which reduces symptoms by only one day. It is really not hard to beat that.

---------------------

Upper airway sterilization: 1% povidone-iodine solution inhaled via nebulizer twice daily has been used, with gargle twice daily.

--------------------

Quote:
Magnesium chloride oil should be nebulized as an isotonic solution – delivering 7.5g magnesium chloride per 100ml of distilled water – closely equal to 3.5 tsp of magnesium oil per 100ml. Nebulization of magnesium is an alternative method of treatment for patients with pulmonary problems or infections, or for those undergoing bronchoscopy. Magnesium nebulized directly into the lungs offers all the same positive therapeutic effects that other types of administration methods do but concentrates the effects in the lung and bronchial tissues.

Nebulised inhaled magnesium sulfate in addition to 2-agonist in the treatment of an acute asthma exacerbation, appears to have benefits with respect to improved pulmonary function in patients with severe asthma. Heterogeneity between trials included in this review precludes a more definitive conclusion.[3] Nebulized magnesium is well tolerated without any adverse effects

from: http://magnesiumforlife.com/transdermal ... edicinals/

--------------------
Superb article on Magnesuim Chloride as a medicinal:

http://www.arthritistrust.org/Articles/ ... herapy.pdf

---------------------

Vitamin C should not be used when treating with iodine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Colloidal Silver has been one of my main easy to use components of a nebulizer solution for biofilm infections.

From the blog:

http://colloidalsilversecrets.blogspot. ... erial.html

Quote:
In this study, published in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (Dec. 2005, American Society for Microbiology) it was revealed that the extracellular matrix around Staphylococci epidermis biofilms have been found to be "markedly impaired" by very low levels of silver ions. According to the study authors, silver ions destabilize the extracellular polymeric substances (i.e., EPS) of which the biofilm matrix is constructed and held together.

The study authors state:

"Our AFM studies on the intermolecular forces within the extracellular polymeric substances of S. epidermidis RP62A and S. epidermidis 1457 biofilms suggest that the silver ions can destabilize the biofilm matrix by binding to electron donor groups of the biological molecules.

...This leads to reductions in the number of binding sites for hydrogen bonds and electrostatic and hydrophobic interactions and, hence, the destabilization of the biofilm structure......After the addition of silver ions and within 60 min of contact, the overall structure of the biofilm became partially destroyed and the inner structure of biofilm was exposed. There were also significant amounts of EPSs around the damaged biofilm colony, confirming the effect of silver ions on the grown biofilm matrix."
Now that’s quite a mouthful, isn’t it? But in plain English the study authors are saying, essentially, that the silver ions destabilize the biofilms through an electro-chemical process that ultimately robs the biofilms of their structural integrity. The extracellular matrix, or “fort” that’s been constructed around the bacterial biofilm colonies begin to fall apart, thereby exposing the pathogens. Importantly, the silver ions can accomplish this within 60 minutes of exposure to the biofilms, and at very low levels.
The study authors focused on two different strains of Staphylococci epidermis -- a Staph bacteria of the skin that’s very similar to Staphylococcus aureus of MRSA fame. Additional Evidence of Silver’s Ability to Eliminate Bacterial BiofilmsOther pathogens such as Psuedomonas aureginosa are also known to protect their colonies from the effects of antibiotic drugs with biofilms. In another study, this one published in the journal Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, (Vol. 79, Issue 2, Sept. 2010), titled “Silver Nanoparticles Impede Biofilm Formation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus epidermidis”…
…it was demonstrated that a staggering 95% inhibition of biofilm formation could be achieved within 24 hours simply by treating the Pseudomonas microorganism with silver nanoparticles.This may be one reason why colloidal silver is so effective against Pseudomonas infections, as well. Plaque on teeth is also a protective biofilm produced by dental pathogens. Interestingly enough, in the past, silver has also been shown -- both in animal studies and in research for a dental patent -- to help rid teeth of plaque.
Even E. coli bacteria have been known to produce biofilms. And of course, E. coli is another pathogen known to be susceptible to the infection-fighting qualities of antimicrobial silver. Even Works Against Fungal Biofilms In another study, published in the journal Biofouling, titled “Silver Colloidal Nanoparticles: Antifungal Effect Against Adhered Cells and Biofilms of Candida albicans and Candida glabrata,” it was found that silver nanoparticles exhibited fungicidal activity against two species of fungi “at very low concentrations.” More importantly, it was discovered that the silver nanoparticles were effective in inhibiting biofilm formation by these fungi – in other words, the silver prevented the fungi from building biofilms. However, the researchers found that in the case of these two fungi, the silver nanoparticles were not quite as effective in breaking down existing fungal biofilm formations.
More Biofilm-Producing Bacteria Susceptible to Silver In a more recent study published in June 2013 the journal Science Translational Medicine, titled “Silver Enhances Antibiotic Activity Against Gram-Negative Bacteria,” it was revealed by the study authors that silver treated bacteria weren’t even able to produce a biofilm at all, and that when drug-resistant biofilms were treated with silver, the bacterial resistance to antibiotic drugs was completely negated. “Overall, what we show is that small amounts of silver, non-toxic levels, can be used in conjunction with commonly used antibiotics to treat persistent infection and to treat bio-film based infections, which are problematic for medical implants,” study author Jim Collins said. Also quite interesting is a 2001 press release from a company called NVID International, Inc., developers of a disinfectant product called Axenohl, which is “an ionic silver-based antimicrobial technology.” Axenohl, composed of stabilized ionic silver, was tested in the municipal drinking water system in Grecia, Costa Rica, which had become non-potable (i.e., non-drinkable) due to coliform bacteria contamination. As a result of the use of only 78 parts per billion Axenohl in the city’s water supply – a remarkably small amount of silver -- the bacterial count decreased from over 200 CFU (i.e., coliform forming units) per 100 ml water to zero CFU per 100 ml water, in only 10 days. Moreover, “Axenohl proved to control and reduce the presence and growth of biofilm in the piping distribution network.” So thanks in large part to recent research, it’s becoming abundantly clear that in many cases, silver is able to either inhibit the formation of bacterial biofilms, or even bust through and destroy existing biofilms, depending upon the type of pathogen involved. This is great news, because it demonstrates another important quality possessed by antimicrobial silver which is not possessed by Big Pharma’s failing prescription antibiotic drugs. And it offers new hope that antimicrobial silver will ultimately be recognized as the solution to the growing problem of drug-resistant pathogens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Role of silver ions in destabilization of intermolecular adhesion forces measured by atomic force microscopy in Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms.
Chaw KC, Manimaran M, Tay FE.

Source

Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, 31 Biopolis Way, The Nanos #04-01, Singapore 138669.

Quote:
Abstract

In this paper, we report on the potential use of atomic force microscopy (AFM) as a tool to measure the intermolecular forces in biofilm structures and to study the effect of silver ions on sessile Staphylococcus epidermidis cell viability and stability. We propose a strategy of destabilizing the biofilm matrix by reducing the intermolecular forces within the extracellular polymeric substances (EPSs) using a low concentration (50 ppb) of silver ions. Our AFM studies on the intermolecular forces within the EPSs of S. epidermidis RP62A and S.epidermidis 1457 biofilms suggest that the silver ions can destabilize the biofilm matrix by binding to electron donor groups of the biological molecules. This leads to reductions in the number of binding sites for hydrogen bonds and electrostatic and hydrophobic interactions and, hence, the destabilization of the biofilm structure.

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next