Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 2 posts ]   
 Post subject: Motherwort
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Attachment:
motherwort patch.jpg

I have the wild herb, motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) growing in front of my barn on my farm and I harvest it when the tops are in bloom to make a tincture extract. I have a friend D.O that owns an Alabama clinic and in one email she mentions she is trying to import a rather toxic herb from South America for her husband's heart arrhythmia which needs to be remedied before an upcoming surgery. I suggested to her to try some motherwort and I would send her some of my extract to try. After about 3 weeks, she writes back:

Quote:
"Wanted to wait long enough to be sure- but your kind gift is working wonderfully! My husband has been in a regular sinus rhythm since 24 hrs of first dose. I can’t thank you enough!! "

I have been keeping track of his progress and she writes that he has been stable the entire summer and Fall while on motherwort!

Quote:
Planta Med. 2014 May;80(7):525-32. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1368426. Epub 2014 May 19.

The effect of Leonurus cardiaca herb extract and some of its flavonoids on mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in the heart.

Bernatoniene J1, Kopustinskiene DM1, Jakstas V2, Majiene D1, Baniene R3, Kuršvietiene L4, Masteikova R5, Savickas A1, Toleikis A3, Trumbeckaite S3.

Abstract

Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) possesses antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic activities, and is used as a complementary remedy to improve heart function and blood circulation. Since cardiovascular diseases are often associated with an alteration of mitochondria, the main producers of ATP in cardiac muscle cells, the aim of our work was to determine bioactive constituents present in motherwort aerial parts extract in ethanol and investigate their effects on the functions of cardiac mitochondria. Quantitative determination of polyphenols in L. cardiaca herb extract was performed by HPLC. Mitochondrial respiration rates were evaluated using a Clark-type oxygen electrode. Mitochondrial ROS generation was determined fluorimetrically with Amplex Red and horseradish peroxidase. The results showed that constituents (chlorogenic acid, orientin, quercetin, hyperoside, and rutin) of L. cardiaca herb extract uncouple (by 20-90 %) mitochondrial oxidation from phosphorylation, partially inhibit (by ~ 40 %) the mitochondrial respiratory chain in cases of pyruvate and malate as well as succinate oxidation, and effectively attenuate the generation of free radicals in mitochondria. Since partial uncoupling of mitochondria, respiratory inhibition, and decreased ROS production are proposed as possible mechanisms of cardioprotection, our results imply that L. cardiaca herb extract could be a useful remedy to protect cardiac muscles from the effects of pathogenic processes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post subject: Re: Motherwort
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

My brother with history of heart disease came down to visit and mentioned he had been feeling really crumby the last few weeks. His heart was arrhythmic with episodes throughout each day for that time period. He had contacted his MD, who analyzed some cardiac read-outs over the phone, but seemed to have little clue what was going on. I suggested he try Motherwort which I had harvested off our farm a few years ago, making an ethanol extract. He was skeptical that it would help, but was willing to give it a try. He tells me his heart seemed back into normal rhythm by that evening, just like my D.O. said her husband’s was! Currently, he has been unbothered for months now and feeling normal. He did go to his cardiologist a few weeks afterwards telling him of Motherwort (and giving him a scientific study showing him that it has been shown to be of value from me), but of course, the MD was not on board with that. He would like to perform surgery immediately, updating his 20 year old implanted electrodes and put him on some new drug which sounds like to me has some possibly very toxic side-effects and requires a hospital stay to tweak dosage levels just right. After some thought, my brother decided to avoid the surgery and see how far he could go on my Motherwort extract. So far, so good. Update: a few months later in the Summer, he had a follow-up with his doctor. His MD still wanted him to replace his electrodes and go on the new toxic medication. However, toward the end of the session, Doctor asks him if he is still taking Motherwort? My brother replies, yes, twice a day. Doctor says to the effect: Mmmm, your heart does appear improved. I wonder if that really does work? his fingers stroking his chin.

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 2 posts ]