Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]   
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Canine Convulsive Seizures can be a very disturbing condition in your beloved dog. Probably the first reaction is to rush your dog to the vet and hope something can be done. I would advise you that generally that is probably not the best route. Not only will it be very expensive, but about all a vet will do is prescribe mind numbing drugs. Not good. I gave this advice to a friend recently who just had a Caryn terrier come down with periodic convulsive seizures out of the blue for apparently no reason.

I told her to look toward the California vet, Dr. Wendell Belfield for guidance. He suggests in his book to supplement dogs with Vitamin B6 and B3 (Niacinamide). He gives 50 mg of B6 for an average size dog and 100 mg for a large dog. The same dosage levels would apply to B3, too. My Caryn terrier owner did not immediately act on this suggestion and her dog continued to experience seizures. I finally got a bit exasperated and again suggested she try these vitamins. What did she have to lose? This time she went to the local health food stores and purchased the two vitamins and started her dog on them. I am happy to say that her old dog seemed to respond lightening fast and so far, never suffered another seizure until a long weekend when she avoided feeding him his vitamins for 3 days. Amazingly with only a 3 day absence the dog had another attack. I saw this myself! She is more diligent about keeping him on these two vitamins now and so far, he has not succumbed again. I would not have believed it myself that these two vitamins could have such a drastic affect on a dog with convulsive seizures! This old dog (me) learned plenty from Dr. Belfield on this one!

OfflineProfileReply with quote

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Also, consider a true ketogenic diet for the canine! Get them off all terrible, high carbohydrate commercial feeds! All of them and I dont care how much they are hyped or how expensive they are! Go raw!

http://www.americanveterinarian.com/new ... h-epilepsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 am 
Site Admin

From PEO Solution by Brian Peskin:

Quote:
Case Study: seizures

“I would like to share my experience using PEOs (unsaturated linoleic acid (LA) & unsaturated linolenic acid (ALA)) with a patient who requested help with her pet dog which was having chronic seizures. I came across an article on the effect of fatty acids on seizures. I presribed a small amount of PEOs to the dog morning and evening with meals. I was surpirsed to hear that the seizures totally stopped after one week.I couldnt believe it myself! J. G. Donki, MD

If you want to try this polyunsaturated fatty acid treatment out, feed raw, crude, unrefined Sunflower oil and flaxseed oil. Make sure these oils have a pleasant nutty, grassy taste. Any hint of bad taste means they are going rancid and toxic!

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 3 posts ]