Username:
Password:
Log me on automatically each visit

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm
Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]   
 Post subject: ulcers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Various medicinal clays have been used with success on equine ulcers by adding to rations. Bentonite Clay is one that has had some success with ulcers.

This is one of the things that “toasts me” about retail herbal medications. You have these businesses charging prices that approach, if not equal to, prescription drug costs. This goes for the equine supplement trade as well. I understand that everyone in this world has to make money, but to me, many of these prices are exorbitant. I can see why you are bulking at the $20/lb prices.

Yes, not all bentonite clays are created equal, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. The chemistry of clays seems to me to be very complex and a good site that goes in considerable detail on various clays can be seen at:

http://www.eytonsearth.org/

You don’t want clay that has additives that are designed for non-metabolic purposes, specifically for industry. To my knowledge the clays used in ponds are not treated in any special way for that purpose. I have NOT fed this type of clay to horses, but I would not be afraid to, presuming the label is additive free. The bentonite clays, I have used for hoof packing would probably work internally, as well. They were sold as agricultural grade. I have done some casual research on your Koi clay and it seems to me, it would be a superb substitute. Personally, I would have no qualms about feeding it to my horses. The one Koi distributor, I have read, says nothing is added and it helps fish to thrive. To me, Koi clay looks to be a very safe form of clay to feed.

I would think that many of the clay types discussed on the above site would be appropriate to feed. Just off hand, I would think a horse could use more than an ounce, but this is something one needs to experiment with. Each horse’s metabolism is unique and certainly the ounce level would be a nice starting place. The beauty seems to be that clay is pretty inert and toxic free. There is some worry that too much clay may absorb valuable minerals and nutrients, but no scientific proof has shown this to be true in real life. You may want to work it into a warm brad mash. Let me know how things go.

Aloe vera is a very common remedy for equine ulcers. One really needs to know the cause of equine ulcers in order to effectively treat them. I think at the moment we really don't know what causes them. I still have a sneaking suspicion that they may be pathogen related as it was found that many human ulcers were. If there is some unknown pathogen that causes the equine ulcer, particularly in combination with various stresses as seen in race training, then that shines a completely new light on the subject of treatment. The more I read, the more I am convinced it is not quite as simple as most vet researchers would like us to believe. I read an interesting new "germ theory" which states a very convincing rule on infections. It basically says: "...when diseases have been present in animal populations for many generations and still have a substantial negative impact on the animal's fitness, they are likely to have infectious "causes"."

For more on this fascinating theory read at:

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/99feb/germs.htm

Let me bring to your attention that Aloe Vera has long been used in India to treat intestinal INFECTIONS. It is generally considered an anti-infective! Surprise, surprise!!

OfflineProfileReply with quote

Post subject: Re: ulcers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

The Gastrogurard website:

( http://gastrogard.us.merial.com/faq.asp ) says the below:

Quote:
"Like human ulcers, stomach acid appears to be the main cause of equine
ulcers. Excess acid can "eat" through the protective lining and damage the
stomach. The high prevalence of ulcers seen in performance horses results
from many factors including the way the horses are fed and managed.
Intensity of training also may contribute to ulcer formation, but the exact
cause remains undetermined. Helicobacter pylori, bacteria that are a factor
in the development of human ulcers, have not been isolated from horse
stomachs and are currently not considered to be a cause of ulcers in horses.
In addition, grains and pelleted concentrates can increase the production of
gastrin, a hormone that stimulates acid production. Therefore, horses that
are fed high grain diets are more likely to have higher gastric acidity than
horses offered free choice forage without grain."

I suppose the key phrase in this paragraph is "...the exact cause in
undetermined." Thus, no one knows for sure the exact cause of equine
ulcers! It is all a guess, and I would venture to say that most vets and
drug companies consider the above paragraph to be generally true.

My personal view is that since many foals and performance horses seem
prone to ulcers, an infection may be the likely cause for both. In foals,
you have an underdeveloped immune system and in race horses, you have
stressed animals with impaired immune systems. I think most horsemen
appreciate most race horses as being emotional animals that are stressed. A
common symptom of a emotionally stressed horse is that they go off feed.
Further, it is quite common to see many horses "shake", waiting for a race,
etc, etc. You can bet this is a function of mental stress! I mean, why
shouldn't this be? Why are horses immune from mental stresses while humans
are? I think it is a pretty well known fact that stress in humans causes a
reduction in immune response and a reduction in Hydrochloric acid formation
in the stomach. You may say: "Hey, wait a minute! I thought the conventional
logic was that ulcers are caused by an over production of acid!" If that is
true, then please explain how stress, which often causes a decrease in
stomach HCl acid can cause ulcers?

I will repost my explanation for that as explained by Dr. Fergusson from
the 1930s:

Quote:
"In health, the acid balance is maintained by the normal production of
hydrochloric acid in certain cells of the stomach; should this production
fall short of bodily necessity, the balance must be made up. Other acids,
which are the products of decomposition in the body, such as lactic acid,
fatty acids, carbonic acid, uric acid and others, are called in to fill the
HCl deficiency. These however being abnormal constituents of the great
chemical laboratory of the body (HCl is the only normally produced acid of
the body), are ill-adapted to the requirements, for they are unable to keep
in solution many of the salts which must be thrown off as waste matter in
bodily excretions, the sweat, the expired air, the urine and the feces. In
the effort for the body to provide acid of some sort these harmful acids,
become a monkey-wench in the machinery and the condition known as "acidosis"
results with symptoms of general systemic poisoning. Conversely, when the
hydrogen-ion concentration of lymph falls into the acid side, due to excess
production of lactic acid, fatty acids, carbonic acids, uric acid and like
poisons, there is an effort on the part of the body to neutralize these
with alkaline salts, such as calcium, sodium, potassium, ammonium and
others. These also, being foreign to bodily economy, produce the condition
known as "alkalosis", but often attended with general collapse."

Thus, you see that a stressed race horse which does not produce proper
amounts of HCl acid may end up with a stomach that is filled with the wrong
type of acid aggravating an ulcer condition or, if my suspicion is correct,
allow a harmful equine stomach bacterium to flourish and actually cause an
ulcer. The "body terrain" often dictates the body as being healthy or
diseased! The wrong terrain (low HCl content in the stomach) may open the
horse up to an environment hospitable for as of yet unknown, equine ulcer
bacterium.

I tend to view the past performance of therapeutics in the
human ulcer to be very telling. Exactly the same old explanation for the
human ulcer is now being applied to the equine ulcer's cause. That is, a
condition of stress, mismanagement, wrong food, which causes increased acid
in the stomach were all said to be the cause of human ulcers in the past. We
found out only recently how wrong we were. I suggest you google the Aussy
researcher that discovered the human, Helicobacter pylori. It is a really
fascinating story of how a very tenacious researcher discovered that
bacterium and how he fought his way against a preconceived science bias to
prove the existence of that ulcer causing bacteria. This was a very hard bug
to detect, I might add and there is no reason to think that a similar
bacteria may not also be involved in the horse. Just because we have not
cultured one as of yet, does not mean that one is not the cause, hence, the
human example! Actually another very interesting website has this to say
about Helicobacter pylori and the horse:

https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream ... sequence=1

Quote:
"Traditionally Helicobacter was not thought to be present in the equine
stomach, although why such a carte blanche assumption was made is unclear.
Whilst it is true that Helicobacter has never been cultured from the equine
stomach, an increasing amount of recent circumstantial evidence suggests
that it is present."

Mmmmmmmmm, maybe it is the cause! If so, one needs more than the soothing qualities of slippery elm or Aloe vera to combat it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Here is an interesting site on the benefits of bentonite clay + colloidal silver:

http://www.silvermedicine.org/bentonite ... study.html

Quote:
Similar laboratory studies were conducted with bentonite by Dr. Howard E. Lind, M.S., BS, Ph.D. of Lind Laboratories, Brookline, Mass., with a slightly different slant. Dr. Lind was interested in studying the effects of bentonite used internally as a stomach and large intestine detoxifying agent. The dilution used was 150 ml of bentonite to 1 ml bacterial solution. The bacterial studies were conducted on Serratia Marcescene, E Coli, and Staphylococcus Aureus. The time periods where measurements were taken were every 30 minutes for 90 minutes.

In his studies, Staph responded the slowest, with only an average of a 33% reduction in bacterial counts through the trial period. The other bacteria studied responded significantly better, with the minimum reduction percentage being 85%. Dr. Lind continued on to show a 100% reduction of Proteus Mirabilis.

To further his experiments, Dr. Lind studied a mixture of P. Mirabilis, E. Coli, and S. Aureus, and demonstrated conclusively bentonite's property of selective sorption. The bentonite virtually eliminated all bacteria except the Staph.

Why in various experiments does bentonite respond slowly to Staph? The simple answer is that staph is a gram positive bacteria, and clay colloids have a negatively charged surface area. However, it should be clearly noted that a 33% reduction in population counts, if this were to occur in the body, is still significant.

The original studies by Dr. Lind can be viewed on the Eytons' Earth website:

http://www.eytonsearth.org/bentonite.html

"The great infection fighting properties of natural bentonite have little to do with the antibacterial effect of bentonite. This is something that key researchers have neglected to realize, in that experimentation is often centered around studying applications as an intestinal detoxifying agent, where the dilutions in the body virtually render each "bentonite particle" chemically and electromagnetically separate from each other particle.

In the body, the clay particles, unless they collect on intestinal walls, etc., are very limited in possible action compared to an undiluted product as used externally. Externally used, the bentonite as a hydrated magma can actually pull an infection out of the body, as the preparation creates a subtle but strong electromagnetic field, that, in an effect that is not fully understood, also stimulates the body's own natural defenses at the treatment site.

Another key element that can throw off studies conducted with bentonite is the type of product used. We also submitted a fully processed bentonite ( according to our supplier, an FDA grade internal clay, rendered white through over-processing ) to Natural-Immunogenics along with the samples of natural bentonite. The "high grade" clay turned out to be virtually useless for our study purposes!

The true pioneer of the westernized use of bentonite internally was V. Earl Irons. V.E. Irons, Inc., has always paid very special attention to the balance between the purity of a product and loss of effect through processing. In fact, V.E. Irons set the standards for USP grade bentonite that much of the ( wiser ) natural supplement community has followed for decades.

All of this said, we were very pleased with the results that compared the bentonite solution with the bentonite colloidal silver mixture. It's probably going to take us years to fully document WHY.

Bentonite and colloidal silver share very little beyond that fact that each can exist as a colloid. Bentonite is excellent against some viri, an extremely wide variety of bacteria, and body inflammations and deficiencies; far more so than colloidal silver. Bentonite, however, is often not effective against fungal infections, some yeast infections, and some gram positive pathogens.

Bentonite, as used externally, can actually be REJECTED by the electromagnetic field generated by some cysts, cancers, boils, and lesions. In some of these cases, the bentonite is still effective in integrative treatment, but responds agonizingly slow, taking weeks or more of constant attention to see results. In these situations, in fact, it can be physically demonstrated that a diluted magma will pool AROUND the "object" in question, rather than being attracted TO it as is often the case with the use of bentonite.

Colloidal silver does not work via sorption and always requires direct contact for effectiveness. It attaches to cell walls and has a direct effect on cells, including cellular respiration.

The two are nearly opposite substances. The bentonite particles are formed by a complex crystal structure and carry a negative charge, while the silver ions ( dissolved ) carry a positive charge. Any colloidal silver aggregates ( particulate silver ) have a simple structure ( chemically ).

What we needed to understand is what, if anything, happens with the charged silver particles and the silver ions upon being combined with bentonite. The aluminum silicate bond of bentonite ( the crystalline framework for bentonite, not bentonite itself per se ) is incredibly strong. A properly hydrated bentonite is negatively charged with a self-sustaining electromagnetic field; in fact, there may be numerous charge layers formed. We had little doubt that the negatively charged particles would coexist in such a solution with little consequence. But what about the silver ions? Would the charge of the Ag+ be great enough to effect a chemical reaction? Or would the silver ions be held via sorption on the wide particle surface area of the bentonite, ready to be exchanged with the body when conditions provided? How extensive would agglomeration be?

Through our "real world" experiments it was easy to see that the sorptive properties of the bentonite were not effected. In fact, although we have no explanation for observations, the silver in the bentonite apparently allowed the bentonite to overcome the rejection of some boils and certainly lesions that we had noticed for years through the use of bentonite alone. The effect on efficacy, with our limited experience, was pointed and dramatic as compared to either colloidal silver or bentonite used alone ( after all, the silver must penetrate the skin and actually reach the underlying infection in order to be effective ).

Our experience told us what these new lab results confirmed: The colloidal silver is not significantly degraded by addition to a quality bentonite. While it is true that Sovereign Silver is about 10-15% MORE effective against Staph on direct contact than when combined with the bentonite preparation, the other properties of bentonite, and their possible combined action when used on the body, more than makes up for this minimal loss of efficacy, especially in circumstances where the silver is, for whatever reason, not directly reaching the infection.

It will be nearly impossible for us to scientifically prove that bentonite has the potential to exchange substances with the body, in effect penetrating the the skin's protective layer ( it is widely believed that bentonite does not have this property ). The effect is extremely minute and only happens when conditions are right ( the energy exchange between the body and the clay must be great, forcing the bentonite to exchange a carried substance in exchange for a more toxic substance being sorpted ). But this effect is one reason why one should pay careful attention to substances used in combination with bentonite."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

A recent press release seems to lend credance to my theory that H. pylori or a similar infection is more behind equine ulcers as not:

Quote:
Study: Polysaccharide Therapy May Help Heal Gastric Ulcers In Horses

Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, the oldest and one of the largest private equine veterinary facilities in the world, submitted a study that was peer reviewed and published in the March 2017 Journal of Equine Veterinary Science, showing treatment with a polysaccharide blend reduced gastric ulceration in active horses.

Ten horses underwent gastroscopy for diagnosis and scoring of existing ulcers. For the duration of the study, each participant was administered 1 to 2 ounces of a polysaccharide blend. The study reveals that a polysaccharide blend of high-molecular-weight hyaluronan and schizophyllan, a beta-glucan, administered daily for 30 days demonstrates ulcerative healing.

Of the horses treated with the blended therapy, 90 percent showed complete resolution and/or improvement in ulcerative areas, increased appetite, weight gain, and positive behavioral changes. The study suggests that a polysaccharide blend represents a novel means to enhance gastric healing in the active horse. The study's long-term results could be impactful to the entire equine community, giving horse owners and veterinarians an all-natural alternative to current therapies.

“Ulcers can be found in as many as 80-100 percent of horses,” said Dr. Nathan Slovis of the McGee Medical Center, Hagyard Equine Medical Institute, “Our objective in this research was to determine whether a natural treatment would help in the healing process. From the data gathered, we were able to determine that horses can be successfully treated with a naturally safe and effective polysaccharide blend of hyaluronan and schizophyllan.”

New to the Paulick Report? Click here to sign up for our daily email newsletter to keep up on this and other stories happening in the Thoroughbred industry.

Copyright © 2017 Paulick Report.
This entry was posted in Vet Topics and tagged Dr. Nathan Slovis, equine gastric ulcer syndrome, hagyard equine medical institute, hyaluronan, polysaccharide, schizophyllan by Press Release. Bookmark the permalink.

A pubmed study:

Quote:
Polysaccharides as Bacterial Antiadhesive Agents and "Smart" Constituents for Improved Drug Delivery Systems Against Helicobacter pylori Infection.

Abstract

The standard eradication treatment of the hostile Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) stomach infection is facing increasing alarming antibiotic resistance worldwide and calls for alternative strategies to the use of antibiotics. One new perspective in this direction is cytoprotective compounds for targeted prevention of the adhesion of the bacteria to the stomach host cell and to inhibit the bacterial cell-cell communication via quorum sensing by specific inhibitors. Bacterial adhesion of H. pylori to the host cells is mainly mediated by carbohydrate-protein interactions. Therefore, the use of polyvalent carbohydrates, (e.g. plant-derived polysaccharides), as potential antiadhesive compounds, seems to be a promising tool to prevent the initial docking of the bacterium to the stomach cells. Polysaccharides are common constituents of daily food, either as starch or as dietary fiber and often also function as excipients for galenic drug-delivery formulations. In addition, polysaccharides with defined pharmacodynamics action against bacterial outer membrane proteins can have potential as therapeutic tools in the treatment of bacterial infections. Some polysaccharides are known to possess antibacterial properties against gram-positive bacteria, others to inhibit bacterial colonization by blocking specific carbohydrate receptors involved in host-bacteria interaction. This mode of action is advocated as alternative antiadhesion therapy. Ongoing research is also seeking for polysaccharide-based nanoformulations with potential for local drug delivery at the stomach as novel H. pylori therapies. These approaches pose challenges concerned with the stability of the nanomaterials in the harsh conditions of the gastric environment and their capacity to adhere to the stomach mucosa. In a global scenario, geographical diversity and social habits, namely lifestyle and dietary factors, influence the prevalence of the H. pylori-associated diseases and their severity. In this context, the exploration of the biological activity of plant-derived products or polysaccharides commonly present in foods is increasingly becoming more and more attractive. This review aims to present the current state-of-the-art on the antiadhesive capacity of different polysaccharide families, on polysaccharide-based nanosystems and the proof-of-concept evidence of their potential use as alternative medicines against H. pylori.

NOTE that aloe vera is a common equine ulcer remedy and it contains Mucilaginous Polysaccharides.

Post a new topic Post a reply  [ 4 posts ]